Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Could i get a hedgehog in my garden?

I live in Inverness, scotland, a few months ago when i was leaving my dog class in town, i had spotted a wee hedgehog, by the steps (it was heading towards a very busy main road) as there were dogs around, and bratty kids, he had rolled himself up, so i moved him out of harms way, and put in a nearby neglected garden, with loads of bushes etc, I went back to him about 1/2 hr later to hear him munching on bugs an d grubs.///////// Since then its got me thinking, Could i get hedgehogs in my garden? i live less than 1 mile away from town, just on the outskirts, in a quiet wee cul de sac, but have never seen any hedgehogs (hadn't ever seen any apart from that one) Do you think it is possible for me to get a hedgehog in my garden?///////// Its a small garden, thats graveled, but has an established bush, 2 trees, and other kind of flowers. Is there any way of knowing if there around? and what is the best way to entice them? I would love them in the garden as i have a big snail and slug problem and dont want to use any pesticides, as i am going to grow my own veg next year. Any help would be great. Thanks Lucy