Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Red Wings

hello, OMG.. it's been 9 months since my last post been very busy. Anyway I was doing some bird watching recently with the change in weather. I spotted a flock of birds in the Rowan trees out front of my home. I noted the flock moving from the trees to the nearby roof. On the roof a few Wagtails picking at the roof tiles for bugs & a flock of Redwings. I had this confirmed by a local birdwatcher from the RSPB. At first I thought they were Mistle Thrush as these are quite common visitors to the roof tops around here, but it was when I focused the camera & scope I noted the distinct colours. First I've seen these in a long-time especially in greater numbers. The Redwing from details is most commonly encountered as a winter bird. I.D it's creamy strip above the eye and orange-red flank patches make it distinctive which brought such to my attention. They roam across the UK's countryside, feeding in fields & hedgerows,rarely visiting gardens, *except in the coldest weather, well the weather has now a kind of Autumnal cold feel & wet +13C daytime temp, what interests me I noted *only a few pairs nest in the UK. Well there was a flock of them on the roof all same species & feeding in the Rowan trees. RSPB bird watcher agreed on the size of the flock being of interest. Regards David