Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Confused hedgehog!

Here is a clip of one of my hedgehogs.The tunnel to the feeding station had been knocked out of place and he couldn't quite make out what he was supposed to do!!

http://youtu.be/oenvrH0W_pQ

• Great video MP, he seemed to at least know what he was trying to do.

Paul

• Really clear video MP and a good sized hedgehog, bet he didn't go hungry for long.

• It's interesting that the hog couldn't make the adjustment although it must have smelled the food - probably would have gone thru the opening if it hadn't learned a different route!

• That's a fascinating piece of film, MP, and confirms what we've been seeing our hedgehogs do. It takes them a while to learn something new. eg, a new kitten from up the road found one of the hog holes we have in a fence from next door. It's regularly used, so we couldn't block it off. O/h made a short wooden tunnel to change the access a bit, and I put some mealworms in the entrance to show the way, but film showed the hogs going past the entrance and trying to get through the fence at the sides of the tunnel. It was quite distressing to watch, as one of them actually started to try to dig into the concrete! Finally one of them realised the way, and later ones followed its scent. Phew!

• Yes it does take some time.

My feeding station is usually in the same place and the hogs just make a beeline for it,if its a little out of place it takes them a bit longer.

Also you have to remember that although we can see the hogs quite well on film they are actually going around in the pitch dark so using just their noses!