Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

My first baby hedgehog of 2014!

On checking my trail cam footage this morning I find I have a new hedgehog visiting and it's a baby!

Footage here:-  http://youtu.be/hoZX5MszlwE

So hedgehogs in the area are definitely breeding successfully.

I think the hedgehogs must have bred quite early this year (mine did not hibernate all winter) which is good news as the babies should have plenty of time to be a really good size to get them through next winter.

Also from the trail cam footage I am trying to identify my hogs.I know I have 2 (and baby makes 3!) and there is possibly another.I also know one is a male as he very conveniently had a good scratch right in front of the camera and there was no doubt as to its gender!!

• That's good news MP, we sometimes find evidence that Hedgehogs have been on the lawn, (yes, ‘that' type of evidence), but I've not actually seen one for a while. I'd like to clean out our Hoggy box but I'm unsure of the best time to do this. I'm reluctant to do it through the day as I'm afraid I might disturb any resident Hedgehogs. Surely you don't have to clean out the box in the dark? Do you have any advice regarding this?

Paul

• Hi Paul

I don't know what type of hoggy box you have but can you lift the lid and take a peek? As long as you are careful you should not disturb it.If empty then go ahead and clean it out.Just check every day if not until he moves on.Mine was occupied for 6 months straight through the last winter and it was pretty rank by the time hoggy moved out!!

I had the inevitable 'evidence' all over my patio this morning so I was out with a scraper,disinfectant,bucket and a scrubbing brush.I have a 'kit' just for this purpose.The worst is when 2 hogs meet and they just love to spread it around.

• I know it sounds odd MP, but could you post a photo of hedgehog "evidence". I have seen an adult hog wandering around at night & seen various "evidence" of something but not put 2 + 2 together before. I thought it might have been martens leaving the deposits.

• Hi Hazel

I shall see what I can do regards photos of the 'evidence'!

ithink they were rather good last night so may have to wait a few days,watch this space!

• Thanks MP. The box does have a 'lift off' lid, but I've got the box buried under a pile of small logs. I'll gently dismantle the pile and have a peek in today.

Paul

• Hi MP.

The good news is that there wasn't a Hedgehog in the box when I checked it today, the bad news is that it doesn't look like there's ever been one there. When I took the lid off the box, I found that the nesting materials were quite 'hard packed' so I'm thinking I've perhaps put too much in to begin with. Anyway, the stuff was all nice and clean so I've removed a good deal of it and put it all back together with a looser bundle of nesting materials, fingers crossed for maybe a Hedgehog over the winter. I hope you don't mind, but I've added a few photos to let you see my Hoggy Box.

The box is under all of this, the entrance is at the front left hand side of the pile.

I've put in a loose bunde of leaves and straw for any potential takers.

All tucked up snug again, ready for the winter.

At least the box is an option for any potential house hunters, it would be nice to have a Hedghog in there though.

Paul

• That looks like a nice hoggy residence Paul.

Hedgehogs do like to bring in a lot of their own bedding but a bit in there already is a good start!

Hope you have hedgehogs soon.

Rachel

• We had a hedgehog once that stole our stored onions to make his nest!!