Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Is Robbie back? (A few more pics)

Probably not but who knows.

Some of you may remember that last year I had a very tame Robin (aka Robbie) who would take mealworms from my hand, in fact he would pester me for them. Here is one shot from last year.

Well here's Robbie Mk2. After a bit of hesitation he came unerringly to my hand for some mealies.

I'd like to think that it is the original Robbie and that he remembered me but that's expecting too much.

• Hello TJ,

if he is your Robbie or not: He is a sweetie. Well done in getting such cute pictures with just one hand for holding the camera. Thanks for posting!

Regards, Bente

• Wow! What a privilege and gorgeous set of shots too!

• Thanks all, it is a privilege to have a wild bird trust you. This one is more timid than last year's, he will only take one worm before flying off whereas last year's bird would collect several in one go. He may get bolder when the urgency to feeds his youngsters gets greater.

The other complication is that he's obviously intruding into another Robin's territory. There have been a few face-offs on the garden fence.

• Superb shots TJ and as you say, it must be a complete privilege to have such a beautiful bird trust you enough to feed from your hand.

Paul

• I'd have to say it would seem to be Robbie. Unless it is a Robin that is used to human contact it would be unusual for it to fly straight to hand on the first offering. They usually require a lot of patience and several aborted attempts before landing. If you recall, BR returned after an absence of about 6 months and even then he was reluctant to come to hand, although he was quite happy to have the camera about 8" from his beak as he was feeding. Unfortunately his territory was taken by Little BR and BR disappeared again after about 10 days. If Robbie is indeed back, I'm sure he will find a way to get those prized mealies from your hand, even if it means a minor incursion into the territory of another Robin! Keep us posted.

• TJ how, how lovely for you. Great photos of hopefully Robbie!

• I was away over Easter visiting relatives in Gloucestershire. Didn't get any worthwhile bird photos unfortunately.

On my return home Robbie Mk2 spotted me at the kitchen window and I was soon feeding him. I think he's got at least one youngster concealed in the shrubbery as he keeps disappearing there and I can hear the odd squeak. Anyway a few more photos.

I'm fairly sure that I've got two separate Robins taking food. This one is very confident and perches very happily. The other one is much more cautious and will just make a snatch and grab before flying off. I've not been able to photograph him on my hand but here he is perched on the arm of my bench.

Unlike MC I can't tell them apart from their appearance but only by their behaviour. Must try harder.

• Gorgeous shots again TJ! Lovely to have two coming like it; perhaps male and female at this time of year as they seem to be sharing the territory?

• More wonderful shots. Can you get a photo of #2 from its right side? I think they might be different, looking at their claws, but #1 has quite distinctive markings on its right side. Either way, you're very lucky to have 2 friendly Robins. BR was back for his Birthday last week, but I have not seen him since Saturday. There was another male Robin in the garden on Sunday, but it was not him. I wonder when his next appearance will be? Little BRII fledged on May 22nd, maybe he'll be back then. Keep posting the photos, they are wonderful!