Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Trail cam success with hedgehogs at last!!!!

Finally got a decent bit of video of hedgehogs on my patio :)

http://youtu.be/gVqT83zkkx0

• Yes the quality is pretty good so am quite pleased.

I will probably move the camera around a bit and try and get footage of them going in and out of the hog house.

The hogs are both sleeping soundly in the hog house at the moment and am wondering if this is a male and female.

• Well done, MP, persistence paid off. They look nice and plump and healthy.

Is the area lit or does the light come from the camera itself ( ie. infra red?)?

• Great video MP and I agree with everyone that they're looking good and healthy. Possibly there's romance in the air?

Paul

• There is no light outside and the video is infra red.The outside light is sometimes activated and just makes the footage a bit brighter.

• Terrific film, mp; I think you'll have the patter of tiny paws this summer!

Can I ask what make of camera it is, please? And what programme you use to download it? Ours has a problem with media player, so I'm trying to find something different to use.

• Hi Rose

The camera is an Acorn 5210A Wildlife Trail Camera bought through Amazon.The images and video are recorded on a SDHC memory card and I use an SHDC USB adaptor to transfer to my laptop so no special program needed.

I am still having some teething problems with it,for example last night I had no triggers by hedgehogs although they were out and about and I didn't trigger it when I went past but a little mouse did!

• Great capture MP, thanks for sharing the privilege of being able to watch these dear little creatures in their private world!

• Ours is also an Acorn, mp, and downloads to computer ok, but we can only watch them on e.g. Real player, not Media player like other film I take! Most strange! We also find odd anomalies with triggering which we can't explain, but still wouldn't be without it now!

• Had a few successes again last night (nothing spectacular though!).

I am going to experiment with different camera positions in the garden.

Have bought myself a Gorillapod tripod thingy so should be able to try out some different angles.

• Trail cam still going strong.

The footage is not spectacular but it is interesting to find out when the hedgehogs are around.

The video is usually of the hog having a good scratch or going into the feeding station or hog house.

I seem to have one regular who is sleeping in the hog house and last night I caught 2 on camera.

Last week I walked across the fields behind our estate (about 10 minute walk for a hedgehog)and it has long grass,really deep hedges and lots of hiding places yet the hedgehogs come all the way to my garden to sleep in a box on the patio!

I wonder sometimes if there is enough food in the 'wild' or maybe they actually feel safer from predators in a back garden?