Sparrow Salad

Caught this little lady eating the dandelions of my "lawn" - hopefully a few more birds will take a liking to them.

• Great pics Sam! I would never have given a thought to dandelions being part of their diet! Just goes to show, we are learning all the time! :)

• In reply to KatyBirdy:

Hi Katy I've seen them eat dandelion flowers before but not the leaves. They must taste good because there's no shortage of seed, fat, fruit and mealworms in my garden!

• In reply to No Name:

Eating pis en lit.....Much changing of sparrow bedsheets tonight!

• In reply to edgebander:

Hi Sam, I have the misfortune of never getting sparrows in my garden, which is a bit of a mystery to me.  I get every kind of tit, dunnocks, robins but never sparrows, so I'm always really glad to see pics of them.  They are such beautiful little birds and I'll keep trying! :)

• In reply to KatyBirdy:

Ha ha EB! We called them that too when we were kids! But lacking in French we had to resort to the Glasgow version! LOL!

• In reply to KatyBirdy:

Didn't know this before EB & KB - at my advanced age too- but googled it & now know the Glasgow version as well- naughty (& funny!)

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to KatyBirdy:

When I was a kid it was not unusual to have 20-30 sparrows in the garden at any one time. I have at least 2 pairs now but as I am the most prolific feeder of birds around here I get the impression these are probably the only 2 pairs in the neighbourhood, which is quite a dramatic decline. Same decline with starlings. This year I have noticed a drop-off in chaffinch numbers too, and seem to be down to just one bird now. Admittedly this winter has been much milder than the last 3 (yes I know that doesn't hold true for most of the country) so maybe they are feeding naturally.

• In reply to No Name:

I have no idea what the rest of you are on about!

• In reply to No Name:

Hi SC - if you google pis en lit then you will know too!!!  

I suspect that the reduction in Chaffinch numbers may be due to the finch disease which has been prevalant in recent months - Doggie will know as his birds were badly affected.

It's odd about the Sparrow populations too - I have up to 60 per day but my friend, who lives 6 miles away & in a perfectly lovely green & treed setting, never sees one - I consider myself so fortunate!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Sam.You live in the land of the Cirl Bunting.I want to be your friend.May I bring the family & a tent.Will bring sparrows,starlings,chaffs.You may have ALL of my dandelions.