New Pond and Bog

A bog hole waiting to be filled !

I've just started a new wild life pond and bog. All is going well but as I've blown my budget (£100) I was surprised to find that the price of native plants in the local garden centres means that it will be a long time before i can aford to add any flora. Then I got to thinking that people who already have ponds have to thin them out and usually compost the thinnings. I wonder if it would be possible to coordinate some kind of aquatic and bog plant exchange through the forum. It would have to be between people who live near each other. When and if my pond takes off I would be wiling to share in this way. If you are interested in the progress of my pond/bog follow this link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/colinandelaine/sets/72157622076111366/

The pond is not quite full yet...I'm waiting on more rain hopefully tomorrow. When I know it will drain into the bog when it over flows I will fill the bog area with a soil mixture made up largely from RSPB composted reed from Ham Wall Reserve on the Somerset levels. When its full and level I will trim the liner and add washed sand around the edge and more rocks wiith toad holes etc.

The pond is almost full with rain water

Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts - Henry David Thoreau

• That looks great Colin!

The swap shop is a good idea too although like you I'm in the planning stages of setting a pond up so don't have anything either just yet!

Good luck with the pond & bog and please keep us updated with the progress!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• What an excellent project. It looks as though it is coming along well and you should be very proud of it. I look forward to more updates and photos.

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

The dust will still be there tomorrow - the birds may not be!

• water plants i have more then enough including water lillys floating plants iris and reeds

if you want some you will have to collect as i cant send them by post and dont have a car

picture my new pond in the spring of this year

the friedly bid watcher

• In reply to redrobin:

Hi Red Robin

Your new pond also looks like it was a labour of love. Has it developed well through the summer?

The necessity of bird-watching is a really good reason for avoiding all forms of housework.

• In reply to Squirrel:

Yes please do post an updated pic of your pond Red Robin!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• In reply to redrobin:

water plants i have more then enough including water lillys floating plants iris and reeds

if you want some you will have to collect as i cant send them by post and dont have a car

picture my new pond in the spring of this year

Your pond is looking good. Thanks for the offer but as I live in somerset it would be rather a long way to come. I need to find someone who is willing to share within say a 25 mile radious of Taunton

Red Robin said:

• In reply to Squirrel:

squirrel its been fine lots of  tadpoles most are frogs now tadpoles were tranfered from the original pond and plants from my other ponds

there blanket weed now but gernerally leaving it as it doesnt  seem to harm the water there in some cases they seem to like it lots of little newts in it as well

pond skaters water boatmen, damselfly and dragon fly larval of diffrent species

theres been many other insects too

the friedly bid watcher

• In reply to redrobin:

That's really good news. I have read before that such ponds do not take long to become "established" and yours is the living proof of that. Thanks for the update. I look forward to more news as time progresses.

• The bog is filled and looking quite real. I will probably wait till spring to plant it up. Heard a splosh and saw the first adult frog giving the pond a try tonight just as it was getting dark

• In reply to Frog Prince:

I live 46.5 miles away, you are welcome to any pond plants I have.

I did have a bit of a clear out a week ago and composted 3 barrow loads but there is still plenty left.

I’ve got water lilies, water soldiers, oxygenating plants, yellow flag iris, plantain and a few others I can’t remember the names of.

Build it and they will come.