Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Heavy clay boggy garden turned into a wildlife haven

This year I had decided it was time to take action, and turn my boggy garden into a beautiful place, I have done all the work myself with the help from my 11 year old daughter. Being a single mum with very little spare money. We have spent absolutely zero on this makeover. I am so happy. It’s not perfect but hard work pays off.

• I over thought this project for a year Joy. I had spent two years trying to get an ornamental garden, and having no success with my pitch perfect lawn! I decided it was time for nature to take over. I am very lucky to have neighbours who are retired and gave me lots of tips and advice. I am even more great full for freecycle is where I posted for items I needed, there were so many people out there that donated to the project. We have a family of slow worms which is really worth the work we have done. Although I have only seen the frog once. It was still a huge surprise
  • Hello Paula, lovely to see the results of your garden makeover and congratulate you and your daughter on all your efforts, having a water feature also will really bring the birds in so you will be well rewarded with wildlife to watch from the comfort of your house and patio. You deserve a rest now ! thanks for sharing your photos and story and look forward to any updates.
  • Hi Paula, what a wonderful transformation you have made in your garden, well done both of you. Even better when you can use other people's left overs or recycling.