Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Wildlife garden - where to start?

My garden can only be described as 'wild' in the sense that in the 20 years I have lived here apart from plant a forsythia, through which an old honeysuckle rambles in the summer, and add a pond (now rather overgrown, but home to frogs) about 10 years and three miniature conifers (now about 8ft tall) and a veg patch about 14ft x 12ft I have done nothing apart from periodically hack the grass down in the summer. However the birds seem to like it, visiting the feeding stations from dawn to dusk. At times the garden resembles starling central (can have up to 20 at any one time), a pair of magpies visit regularly through the day as do a couple of blackbirds, pied wagtails, robins, sparrows, a blue tit occasionally stops off en route to next door's feeders and this past week two missel thrushes have started to visit. Jackdaws and rooks also visit daily and have been observed teaching their young the best way to feed from the suet ball feeders suspended from an old washing line. I would really like to improve my garden but don't want to deter the birds who do visit and would love to attract more. Where do I start? The garden is approximately 120ft x 20 ft narrowing to about 15ft and ends in a gravel driveway. The garden faces just north of east so has a shady area close to the house once the sun passes over and in winter parts of the garden nearest the house receive little direct sun. We live on the outskirts of a small town in the west country with open fields about 500 metres away. Sorry to ramble but any ideas what I do to encourage more birds and yet have a garden I am happy to entertain in (once we have locked up the two resident bantams of course)?