A New Wildlife Pond (Finished...at last)

• In reply to HAZY:

Hi hazy, I may just leave the creepy crawlies to their own lives. The chances are that I’d fall into the pond with the thing, with the possibility of electrocuting myself and everything in the water.!! In relation to this, it is with mixed emotions that I have to report the fact that someone has already fallen into the pond. I’m under instructions not to mention any names, but she does live with me and she feeds the cats every morning. !! The unnamed person was removing leaves from the pond when she overstretched and took a tumble, straight into the deep end. This at first seems to be funny, but she badly bruised her arm, shoulder and knee. She grazed her head as well, and it could very easily have been so much more serious . We can laugh about it now as it wasn’t as bad as it could have been....however....at the time, when I enquired as to whether any Frogs or Toads had been observed whilst underwater, the cats were the only things to be fed on that particular day.!! Like I said though, no names, so I’m in the clear for telling of this.!! We do have a net for the purpose of removing leaves, the 2 lessons being... 1. Always use the net & 2. Keep your mouth shut if you want any dinner.!!

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• In reply to Paul A:

Oh P(PH)A, you deserve to be an honorary member of 'royensoc' in recognition of this latest venture of yours!  Was a sight more involved than the Hibernaculum at my local reserve where they dug a trench, laid down a reasonably long length of fairly wide sewer pipe with roosting pockets in, covered it with soil mound & called it the Bat cave & it was completely under water in the storms/floods of Jan this year!!

An amazing piece of structural engineering on your part, marred only by the fact that you uttered that flippant but whimsical comment at entirely the wrong moment, thus reducing your waistline somewhat, albeit temporarily!  The unfortunate person in question very probably instructed the moggies not to share their meals with you under any circumstances!! Lol

Most enjoyable ... can I go to sleep now?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

I think you got off lightly Paul! If the un-named person had been me you'd be on starvation rations for weeks (& no beer either)!LOL

Still your kind heart for wildlife may have got you a slight reduction in sentence.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to Paul A:

Paul A said:

Hi hazy, I may just leave the creepy crawlies to their own lives. The chances are that I’d fall into the pond with the thing, with the possibility of electrocuting myself and everything in the water.!! In relation to this, it is with mixed emotions that I have to report the fact that someone has already fallen into the pond. I’m under instructions not to mention any names, but she does live with me and she feeds the cats every morning. !! The unnamed person was removing leaves from the pond when she overstretched and took a tumble, straight into the deep end. This at first seems to be funny, but she badly bruised her arm, shoulder and knee. She grazed her head as well, and it could very easily have been so much more serious . We can laugh about it now as it wasn’t as bad as it could have been....however....at the time, when I enquired as to whether any Frogs or Toads had been observed whilst underwater, the cats were the only things to be fed on that particular day.!! Like I said though, no names, so I’m in the clear for telling of this.!! We do have a net for the purpose of removing leaves, the 2 lessons being... 1. Always use the net & 2. Keep your mouth shut if you want any dinner.!!

Paul

Oh my goodness,  poor unnamed lady  !   I  seriously hope the lady in question  has recovered from the shock of falling in,  what an awful experience -   I know how close we come sometimes when trying to remove leaves from our pond and stand on the pond edging or waterfall run off which can be slippery after rain and especially if you stand on wet leaves, moss or algae, the patio is lethal enough without going anywhere near the pond  !    as you say it could have resulted in further injuries so I would buy the lady in question a long handled pond net for Christmas and some water-wings just in case   lol         And whilst on the subject of Christmas maybe the lady in question wants to buy her husband a step by step cookery book in case of any future calamities and unwelcome comments following such   lol 

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to Paul A:

Paul A said:
    I’m not sure if Hibernaculum is even the correct word, my spell checker always tries to change it to Hibernacula; Perhaps someone would know the correct word

Hello Paul,

what a great update, and happy birthday to you!

I would have thought "Hibernaculum" to be the correct term. Spellchecks sometimes have a strong mind of their own.

It is a long post, so I will have a closer look tomorrow, if you don't mind.

Good night for now,

Yours, Bente

• In reply to Bente S:

Belated happy birthday Paul, 21 again!! I have never heard of or seen anything like you latest venture. What a lovely place for all the beasties and bugs to go to. I have to say that you make me laugh the way you tell a story (the lady in question went in right at the deep end). I had this picture in my head of the lady in question doing her bit in the garden and then oops, ouch and in she went. On a serious note I hope she is better now after the fall and the cuts and bruises have gone. Did you go down to the chippy!,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to Paul A:

It is with amazement that I have managed to read your update Paul, the page just wouldn't load for some reason, and  see the pics of your hibernaculum coming together.  That was some project, along with the pond and now you say that we have more pleasures to come with the planting of said area.   Maybe the mods can make a special entry for you to update us all with the goings on in your garden - notwithstanding the untimely dipping of the unnamed person - I have forgotten the number of times I have fallen, or nearly overbalanced into my pond, which luckily is only a tiny affair, and thanked the heavens to have done it unobserved.

Lot to learn

• In reply to gaynorsl:

Thanks everyone, for once again commenting favourably on the process of my endeavours, and thanks for the birthday wishes. I do hope that the Hibernaculum attracts things; it would be nice to think that there are slimy, warty things in there at this moment.!! The lady from Atlantis has recovered now, and she assures me that the long handled net shall be used in all future leave removing exercises. I didn't go to the chippy, Catlady; I did what any self respecting modern man would do, I went hungry.!!

Wendy: As for the 'PH', I'm once again somewhat stumped. Since it was first used in the 'packed lunch' thread, I can only imagine it has to do with food, the preparation of, or the people who are famous for It.!! I've searched for chefs with the same initials but I can't seem find any (which doesn't mean that there aren't any though).!! In relation to food preparation, I was thinking "personal hygiene" but I don't think its that.!! I even looked up the description and properties of a substance called 'Psyllium Husk" which is apparently used as an appetite suppressor and also to...shall we say....purge the system.!! But I don't think this is the answer either. I've even found 'cooks aprons' bearing the logo "I love PH", and yet there is nothing in the description within the ads to say what the 'PH' refers to.!! Back to the drawing board, I still think the 'capitals' point to the reference being someone's name.!!

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• In reply to Paul A:

Lots of ladies love PH & he gained notoriety this year for extramarital 'goings-on' so now I've gone off him!!!  This info must have given it away! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

I have got it Wendy, before your last post the penny dropped. Surprised Paul could not find PH on his searches!!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.