Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Fancy helping dig out a pond? (North Yorkshire)

Hello, A large woodland pond is badly silted up and requires some serious digging to make it great for wildlife again. Last year some friends helped me dig out a small part of it, which has been well utilised by birds, frogs and an assortment of wee beasties. This year we hope to dig out a larger section, to offer more open water and a range of depths for a wider variety of wildlife. But we need more bodies! The site is at Kirkby Malzeard, near Ripon in North Yorkshire. If you are in the area and can help at any time during the weekend of Friday 18th to Sunday 20th October (that's the weekend after next), please let me know. Non-digging tea makers would be appreciated too! To get to the site requires some physical agility though. All I can promise in return for your help is good company, plenty of food and drink, and that wonderful cameraderie you only get from working together on a worthwhile project. Please let me know if you can help or want to know more. Thank you!