Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

New garden pond

Hope I do this correctly and maybe manage a photo too. We probably made our pond a bit too late in the year as the water didn't go in until the end of July. Our garden is on the top of what used to be an old quarry and the ground is full of rubble and a concrete ridge runs diagonally under the lawn. This caused us some problems and left us with the liner having to go over the top of the ridge. I couldn't see how we could plant any groundcover plants that would manage to grow fast enough to cover the liner before winter arrives. Nor would there be much soil for grass. So I bought some hessian sacks off t'interet, cut them to various sizes, laid them over the liner reaching into the water and the laid grass turves on top of the pond edge. After only about two weeks, the grass is rooted into the sacking and sending roots into the water, and the sacking has acted as a 'wick'delivering water up to the grass. Already we have seen water boatmen, backswimmers, dragon and damsel flies, small beetles, midge larvae and some quite large diving beetles. I hope the frogs arrive as quickly next year. My 22 year old son says the pond is the best thing we have ever done and will have one too when he can afford a house!