Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

house martin call cd

I am looking for a house martin call cd as playing this is supposed to attract House Martins to new nests (which I hope to get for Christmas and get up for next year!).

Does anyone know where I can get one?

Rachel

• Ok Rachel, Firstly, how many boxes are you intending to install....House Martin boxes are expensive, if you want to be sure of success then you will need quite a few....When returning from Africa, House Martins will be on the lookout for new sites, especially the young birds from the previous year...it would be better if you had at least six to encourage a new colony...are you near water, they may wish to make additions to your boxes with fresh mud so to be near water is another plus..how high up will you place them and do you have resident House Sparrows close by, sometimes they are a problem to Martins..looking for a cd on calls would be the least of your worries......I made a set of Martin boxes out of fibreglass last year....I also am hoping that their scouts will find them in the Spring and become interested......I have attached a pic of the boxes for you...A couple of them you will see are incomplete, this is to encourage them to make the necessary additions which I suppose is very similar to a self-build enthusiast, it always feels better when you have participated yourself ............best of luck anyway

• Hi Atlantic Man

I had thought to put up 2 nests to start with.

I have seen House Martins in the area in previous years.

We do have several ponds in a nature reserve very close to us so do have water in the area.

The nests would be high up under the eaves of the house and there is a good area in front of this as i know they need a clear space in which to fly too and from the nest.

I don't as yet have nesting sparrows but am planning on a sparrow terrace to the front of the house which I do not think would interfere with House Martins.

I was asking about the CD of calls as I had heard this could attract new birds to the site.

I have also seen single Martin nests on an older part of this estate.

Rachel

• Hi Rachel,

there is no need to buy a CD. The following link will be surfice if you have a CD burner if you want a CD.

http://www.xeno-canto.org/europe/browse.php?query=House+Martin

On the other hand if you have a MP3 player and a pair of speakers you don't need a CD!

Click on the play button above the name and listen to the quality of each recording, once you have found one that you are happy with right click on the floppy disc, then click; save target as.

You can then load the saved file on to your MP3 or burn it to a disc.

All recordings are copyrighted by their recordists and appear on the site under a 

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. which entitles anyone to use the recordings.

Regards Buzzard

• Hi Buzzard

Thanks for the info but I cannot see a link?

Rachel

• Should be there now.

Regards Buzzard

madpenguin said:

Hi Buzzard

Thanks for the info but I cannot see a link?

Rachel