Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Sparrows in exposed south faxing nesbox

H, I messed up and placed some housemartin next boxes 10-12m up on a very exposed south-facing wall. Yesterday a pair of house sparrows appear to have moved in, do these have any hope of having a successful brood in a south-facing box in the current hot weather?

I'll move the boxes in autumn, kicking myself for not thinking about the direction, I just placed them on a wall that the housemartins nested on last year to try and help them out (nest with eggs dried out and fell down last year).

Thanks

• Thanks Robbo, thankfully the housemartins appear to be doing pretty well on the estate in general despite the sparrows. I did notice a nest on a neighbours house with a big hole missing from it though which I'm guessing might be the sparrows doing.

I was hoping to give the martins a hand but I'd be happy enough if the sparrows manage a successful brood, even better if my artificial nests take some of the sparrow pressure off the natural martin nests in the neighbourhood.

The sparrows are still in the nests at the moment but I haven't seen them taking any nest materials in yet so maybe they are just mucking around as you say.