Blue tits in bird box.

Hi all, just a question we have a bird box in our garden, we have been watching them fly in and out not too sure how long they have been building there nest only noticed when they have been feeding there young.. I noticed a neighbours cat had caught on of the adults but had ran off before I could help.. will the nest survive with just one adult feeding not too sure how many She has had. It’s been working non stop in and out to feed them and of a evening she/he stays in there I take it that’s what they do of a night.. sounds like there’s a good few that have hatched as when they fly in you can hear them all.. any advise would be great. 

• Depends on location, stage of development, parent, etc. In many/most cases in places like urban gardens, that is curtains. Cats have a devastating effect on wildlife in this country, despite regular comments to the contrary. Providing live food in the garden may help. Depends what else is around as the live food may not as long due to other birds helping themselves.

• In reply to Robbo:

The cats can’t get to the box it’s self as it’s in a tree with a guard on the bottom,, so I think it had caught it from another hedge close by, I first noticed them Feeding Saturday just gone, I have ordered some dry meal worms but I have just read they need live ones so I’ll get some of them too. Yea there’s a new magpies around and black birds too. Hopefully some will survive if the others adult stays safe. How long do they stay in the nest for.
  • Depends how much suitable food they get. As you said, it needs to be live food, partly for fluids. Too many garden bird chicks are fed junk food from bird feeders which is of limited value to growing chicks.