Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Nestbox question

hello,

I have a nesting box for a great tit that has been used quite a lot, i think it's 7 years old now. This year i forgot to clean the nesting box. I went to check the nest and there was a great tit sitting on the nest. this happened 23 of april 2020. How is it possible that they re-use a nest? Or did they clean it themself? I dont have a clue because internet says they dont re-use their nest and that u should clean it every year.

Second of all i bought a second nesting box today, this one is for a blue tit. I put it up the 24 of April 2020, is this already too late? I put it on a spot were there is no wind, but also not a lot of sun(bcs of the shade of my house) , did i do well?

I thank u for your answer in advance .

• Hello Frida, firstly the 7 year old nest box. I am unsure about the fact that they will not re use a nest box without it being cleaned out, but if you think that in woodlands and possibly many gardens, they may not be cleaned out and I am sure would be used again. I don't think the birds themselves would empty the box.

It depends where you are, our tits are still investigating and building in the boxes (I am up at the very top of Scotland) so it could be that if I put a box up, it may be inspected and used. The best placing for a box is facing North, North East, out of the full sun.

Good luck and I hope you have young birds soon.