Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

How close can a sparrow terrace and a blue tit nest box be?

Hi,

I’m hoping you can help. We live in a mid terrace house and last year we had a house sparrow nest in a hole in our house brick work. We have since blocked up the hole we have now brought (awaiting for it to be delivered) a sparrow terrace nest box to replace the hole in our wall as we have loads of sparrows in the garden and there were some squabbling over the original nest location.

We would also like to put up a blue tit nest box too on the same wall but away from the sparrows. I have read that you should avoid placing sparrow boxes close to other bird boxes but how close it too close? The approx distance apart I was planning would be 5-6 m (16-19 ft) and I was wondering if this would be ok?

• Hi there, sorry nobody got back to you on your question and I'm not sure I have the expertise to correctly answer. House Sparrows tend to be quite feisty, aggressive little birds with other species and have been one of the main causes for failing nests by House Martins which roost under the roof line so although 5 - 6 metres should be sufficient distance between nesting boxes, nothing is guaranteed until you test it out. If they are at opposite ends of the building it may work. If you had a nearby tree you could place a nest box on for the blue tits that would work better but don't place any box on a fence-line or near to branches that could be used as an access point for predators such as cats. At least this reply will bump up the post so maybe more advice or ideas could be added.

• Thank you Hazel for your reply and advice, that’s helped a lot. I’m going to put both up boxes up and see how things go. Fingers crossed everyone will get on fine ...