Swallow House

Hi
I’m new to the community. We moved to West Wales last summer and had swallows nesting in our container meaning we couldn’t close it. We closed it after they left and have built the this house in the hopes that they will come back and use it instead. You can see the container in the background. We’re just waiting for them to arrive. Any thoughts or tips to attract them to their new home?

• Wow, that's an impressive structure, Claire. Who knows how birds choose a suitable site. I would have thought as long as there are beams/rafters/ledges contained within for the Swallows to build their nests on then there's a good chance they will love it. Good luck and let us know if they take to it.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hello Claire, welcome from up in Caithness, at the very top of Scotland. My that is indeed a posh Swallow house! Hope they nest after your hard work, do let us know.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to TeeJay:

Hi Tony
    Thank you
    Yes we have ledges to mimic the ones in the container, so fingers crossed.
    I got the idea from a Canadian site when researching options
    Will definitely keep you posted
    Claire
  • In reply to Catlady:

Hi There
    It is quite fancy isn’t it. I found the plans and my lovely partner built it
    Will definitely let you know
    I’ll be thrilled to bits if it works. Don’t want to lose them
    Hope all is well in the North!
  • In reply to Catlady:

I am delighted to say that today we have swallows swooping in and out of our habitat. We are absolutely thrilled! Will try and get some pictures or footage!
  • Oh that is great news Claire. Only today I was thinking when reading about swallows, I have not seen any around here at all yet.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• We were getting equally concerned. We’d sited a few but thought they’d passed us by. But here they are! Lots of reports of lateness this year I think
  • Congratulatios Claire. All your hardwork is paying off and you've done something to help wildlife.. Looking forward to seeing some phhotos in due course

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Let's hope you get some nest-building resulting from the interest.

Nige   Flickr

• Hello Claire and welcome to the community, as others have said, what an impressive structure and it's lovely to hear about the efforts you and your partner have gone to for the swallows. Looks like your research and plans have worked so very well done once again and good luck, I look forward to the updates.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again"