Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Advice on buying & installing nest boxes

Hello, I'd like to put some next boxes in my back garden and after reading tips online have come up with the below plan, does it sound ok? 1) Starlings: a Schwegler 3SV box hanging in a north facing cherry blossom tree. I'm unsure if they prefer to nest in colonies but don't want this box on the house due to noise/mess and the need to be able to access it for cleaning. Has anyone had any success with Starlings nesting before? 2) Blue Tit: The Official™ Cedar Ultimate Edition - 26mm hole with a wooden nest box guardian on an east facing fence post. Also rather than having too many boxes I was hoping some could be a potential home for more than one species, depending upon who finds it or wants to use it. For example: 3) Blackbirds & Robins: a Birch Log Open Nest Box or Blackbird Open Nest Box hung part way down a fence/trellis in ivy or a pyracantha (north or east facing). Does anyone have experience of these or similar open fronted boxes that cater for more than 1 bird? 4) Great Tits & House Sparrows: a 32mm hole box on the north facing side of my shed or a sparrow terrace below the soffit board of a single story extension, facing east. Which do people feel would be the better option of the two or is it really necessary to have one of each? I also read the terraces with a hole in the middle and on each end is better to ensure the birds remember which box they are nesting in, has this been other people's experience? Thanks!