Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Pond area 4 years on

During the recent spell of sunny weather ... and before the fog arrived !    I took a few pics of the pond, waterfall, bog garden, reed bed area almost 4 years on from the construction ....   amazing how things grow and the transformation.  The reed bed grasses grew so wide I had to lollipop trim them a week ago  !

Before and after photos ............

then a year or so later  .....

and a few days ago ...........

the autumn colours have been stunning this year

looking down on the top of the waterfall,   sry about the shadow  lol 

One thing I can say is that no matter if you only have the area for a small water feature or sizeable  garden to create a larger pond,  adding any water feature will certainly bring in the birds and wildlife.      We've had Redwings, Goldcrest, song Thrushes, Willow Warbler and even a Kingfisher visiting this water area for bathing/drinking as well as the regular daily garden visitors who love the water and also the rocks, nooks and crannies for hunting out those spiders and insects.     

• Really beautiful Hazy, I've never seen better. I'm envious but I'd never be able to keep it up, I might go for a small one next year. We've had ponds in all our homes & this one won't be an exception (I hope).

I was thinking about you yesterday as I raked up the leaves from the Fig tree & remembered how many truck loads of leaves you gather every year. Is it all done now or still more to do?

• thanks Gaynor and Hazel,  

@ Hazel, there are still many leaves yet to fall but on average we take 10 large garden sacks of leaves to the green recyling tip each fortnight, plus the two large green bins which are collected from the house each fortnight,  although I always keep a large pile of leaves in the far corner of the garden for use by wildlife and over the winter period before shredding them down in springtime to use eventually as compost.  I would like to shred more and leave them to rot down to a lovely rich leafmould compost but there are just too many with 50 very tall and mature Oaks and Beech trees !  I was busy raking again yesterday morning at first light and its something I quite like doing as long as its in one or two hours sessions and then a break for a cup of tea !   I do use the ride on mower also which can collect the leaves without cutting the grass !  

• Makes me feel tired just thinking about it!!

• What can I say Hazy, that is absolutely stunning and what colour. So sad that I am so far away from you otherwise I would be calling also!!

• Evening Catlady,  many thanks, the Japanese Acers are now shedding their leaves so soon it will look quite bare apart from the grasses and evergreens around the rockery but it was beautiful whilst it lasted especially with the early morning and evening sunshine on the foliage.   It's taken 4 years to estabish itself and every plant I put in myself but worth the effort when I see the area now although Mike does most of the pond maintenance !  

• Hazel, Lovely photos of your garden pond area--just beautiful.  Acers are certainly value for money and so gorgeous in spring new leaf and in autumn colour.  We have a single Acer in a large pot and love it to bits--fantastic red autumn colour.  As you say, the colour this autumn is excellent--about the best I have seen in very many years.  As for anything comparing to your great pond, I have difficulty remembering to empty and refill our tiny bird bath!  And it is simply a plastic plant pot saucer nestled in the top of a chimney pot which stands in the middle of our garden path!

• lol Ann !!    Acers are great value as you say with such beautiful leaves and colour.    Fortunately, we haven't had to remember to top the large pond as the rain tops it up now and especially this afternoon when it chucked it down !

• Beautiful photo's Hazel, those Autumn colours are gorgeous.I don't envy you the work involved, but applaud your efforts and dedication (and OH of course)

• thanks so much Terry, I guess we both like being outdoors and don't mind gardening in two hour batches !  and although we say its getting too much work as the years go by we are reluctant to sell up and buy something smaller ! I guess seeing the autumn colour and plant growth is reward enough to keep us here for now.

• Just seen this what a stunning pond and garden well done I can see a lot of hard work has gone into that and judging by your pics it's paid off. I'm currently in the process of making a small pond only 1.5m square and couldn't imagine the logistics involved in creating yours.