Pond area 4 years on

During the recent spell of sunny weather ... and before the fog arrived !    I took a few pics of the pond, waterfall, bog garden, reed bed area almost 4 years on from the construction ....   amazing how things grow and the transformation.  The reed bed grasses grew so wide I had to lollipop trim them a week ago  !

Before and after photos ............

then a year or so later  .....

and a few days ago ...........

the autumn colours have been stunning this year

looking down on the top of the waterfall,   sry about the shadow  lol 

One thing I can say is that no matter if you only have the area for a small water feature or sizeable  garden to create a larger pond,  adding any water feature will certainly bring in the birds and wildlife.      We've had Redwings, Goldcrest, song Thrushes, Willow Warbler and even a Kingfisher visiting this water area for bathing/drinking as well as the regular daily garden visitors who love the water and also the rocks, nooks and crannies for hunting out those spiders and insects.     

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Damn - I have severe garden envy! That pond area is beautiful now :-)

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• In reply to Stuart Vine:

Fabulous aitch, must book a visit to your park!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

One word Hazel.

STUNNING!!

Regards Shane

My Photos in Flickr.

lol,  thanks Stuart and Wendy,  you are welcome anytime you're passing Cheshire.   Fog is lifting slowly but feels a little cooler than yesterday.   Birds are visiting the feeders frequently.  

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thanks aitch, sun has finally burned away the dreadful fog & is quite warm here!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

thanks Shane,  it has been fantastic for attracting lots of birds/wildlife and has proved a real bonus as well as a nice feature to look at (and hear the water).    It is a lot of upkeep though, especially through autumn clearing the leaves off the surface before they sink.     Pumps/filters have worked well throughout and also the water lilies have helped shade some of the surface preventing excess algae/blanket weed build up although it does still get that problem.   We tend to net it out rather than use chemicals although have had to resort to more eco-wildlife friendly products to reduce the blanketweed.     I guess Wilma Wagtail's visits and the sighting of a Kingfisher one day have been worth the expense and the maintenance  lol     Also seeing two Redwings one April,  a couple of years back, having a bathe in the top tier really had the wow factor.  

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Your very welcome Hazel I guessed a lot of hard work went into and still does but trust me i would pay to visit a garden like that.

Regards Shane

My Photos in Flickr.

• In reply to Shane:

Shane said:
    I guessed a lot of hard work went into and still does but trust me i would pay to visit a garden like that.

kettles on Shane   lol    

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

I would need a cuppa after driving all the way to you lol

Regards Shane

My Photos in Flickr.

• Just caught up with this thread Hazy and have to say your garden is really breathtaking with all that Autumn colour, absolutely gorgeous.  I know it is hard work and you and your hubby can really pat yourselves on the back for making such a show.  

Lot to learn