Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Snake's Head Fritillaries

I wonder if anyone could solve a puzzle for me?  I planted over 200 bee friendly bulbs in my garden, but unfortunately due to the very wet winter of 2013 many rotted. The snake's head fritillaries have generally been successful, but I've suffered another frustration. I'm used to holes being bored into the flowers before they fully open, I believe this may be pollinator insects taking a short cut as the holes look too neat for slugs. However, something is now taking to lopping the flowers off completely. Frustratingly it is happening just before they open and not before. It doesn't look like slug damage,  although I stand to be corrected, as there are no remains of the flowers left. Could it be mice? As there are a few in the garden or perhaps birds? I wouldn't have thought it was the latter, but I've had the pleasure of watching a blue tit fastidiously pecking either pollen or perhaps insects out of the flowers of a winter flowering clematis (Chinese origin) several times, which was a surprise. So haven't ruled anything out.

I haven't had any success searching the internet. I know lily beetles are a pest, but thought it'd be the larva attacking the builbs.