Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Build it & they will come ! Creation of 2nd stumpery & photographic prop

Warning:    By the time you get to the end of this thread you will feel that you had a hand in creating it with us   LOL 

you need plenty of stamina for the following photos documenting our day so better get yourself a cuppa and put your feet up before you embark on this blog !!

.......are you sitting comfortably ???        ok.......here we go............................

The fallen Oak which crashed to the ground during the recent stormy weather was put to good use today when my plans got into gear and we created a 2nd stumpery area where the previous feeder post and guardian cage had been.    A much more natural photo prop and an area the birds are already enjoying just 10 minutes after it was finished !      Here is a photo record of our busy day,   a cool but dry day which enabled us to finish the project  ..................

The area as it looked before we started:   guardian cage, Euonymus shrub, Rowan tree, temporary feeder post  

1st task to remove the guardian cage/slate, shrub, middle feeder post, shrub and Rowan tree

area ready for first logs .............

next,  chainsaw the Oak into manageable  (ha ha !!  still weighs a bl**dy ton  !    )  and transport to new area

add another large log ...............

and yes I really did pull this log to the new area before you lads think this photo was just for show    !!!

tennis elbow strap tightened and in place, nothing stops me when I have ideas for the garden  lol 

now in place and stabilised by two wooden post blocks .......

3rd and 4th logs added and wooden blocks removed ...........

you won't believe it but that smaller log at the front was an absolute stinker to chainsaw  !!!

I  then planted a small cotoneaster to the right and a larger Pieris to the left to soften the look of the logs .....

the Euonymus was replanted towards the back to give the birds some additional shrubbery shelter ....

and it appears, just like MC whilst creating his lovely new garden area, that we also had a site foreman watching proceedings .....

with the logs being used also as a photo prop,  a channel was cut into the back of the oak to take peanuts, seeds or pastry ....

view from behind the stumpery -  deeper channels may be dug at a later stage ............

all completed, everything in place awaiting the birds   :)  

and who is the first visitor do you think ???                      

a lovely little Wren who was first to spot a few tasty woodlice that had taken up residence in the felled oak ........

got to say the new stumpery with all its moss and lichen looked like it had been there for years  !!!!   

more of the gorgeous Wren  ......

think she must be working out how old the Oak is in this next pic   !!!!

• Brilliant thread Hazy & you both have my greatest admiration. Well planned & executed. It's very hard work but your efforts were rewarded straight away with the official seal of apprroval of the wren. I hope he brings all his pals & a few Cyrils too. Perhaps you should have popped a few harnesses around them to get them to move the logs! LOL

• Wow, Hazy - I'mm impressed with all your energy and enthusiasm!  Your new stumpery looks great and a reward for all your hard work when the wren moved in almost immediately!  Brilliant photos.  It always makes me smile when robins pop up in the garden whenever you're doing anything different.  I pruned some of my shrubs quite heavily one morning to try and make it harder for a local cat to hide under my bird feeders and the robin was straight in there, surveying what I had done, the minute I had finished!

Back to your stumpery - glad you felt no ill effects today and hope you enjoyed the day with your friend.

• What a wonderful thread Hazy. Your stamina puts mine to shame, more like a week for me to do all that. Well done to you both, cant wait to see your follow up pic's in the spring.

• Thanks so much everyone,  it just felt the right thing to do to use the beautiful Oak logs to create something natural and the squirrels certainly appreciate it  lol !!!     Will post some pics up later.  

• I'm in awe of your energy levels Hazy, that would do me in.  Great to see you have another stumpery.  Well done.  Er you did promise more pics in your last post ...... (I know, I'm being really cheeky.)

• Wow Ann,  you've dug deep into the archive for this year old thread !!  thanks so much for your kind comments and am pleased to say the 2nd stumpery is very popular with the birds including the Nuthatches and the little Wren who are here each day along with the Great Tits, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Dunnock, Robins and as aways, the Cyril Squirrels   lol    I keep wanting to change the stumpery around again but the Oak is so very heavy I have to be careful trying to reposition it due to wonky arms and shoulder  lol     I added an upright branch for the birds to perch on plus a thicker twig placed laterally that I use for them to perch on above the huge logs underneath.   I guess gardens and stumpery areas are always a work in progress as we strive to improve on things !  

Here is a photo of a juvenile Jay taken over the summer on the stumpery area -  perched on the upright branches I added  ...........

and a Dunnock on the stumpery enjoying the live mealworms I put out for the birds

• Thanks for the pics Hazel especially as one is my favourite bird - the Dunnock.  Lovely captures.