Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Creating A Garden (Sort Of) Update 26-05-17

I recently demolished my garage in order to extend the garden and within the last few days I have broken out the garage floor slab. The idea is to create flowerbeds around the perimeter and to lay turf adjacent to that. The broken out flooring was only a couple of inches thick and once I have broken it down even more I was intending to put a topsoil/compost mix on top to create the flowerbeds. I am assuming that the broken up flooring will assist with drainage and stop the soil from simply washing away when it rains? I have several bags of Homebase topsoil and was intending to mix them in with compost of some sort. Can anyone offer advice and tell me if this is a good idea? I intend to plant climbing roses and honeysuckle at the far end of the garden because I have installed trellis at high level. Going forward I will be planting runner beans and tomatoes on the more exposed wall and pyracantha and other Sparrow friendly plants elsewhere. I will post some photos when I get home, in order to give a better idea of the layout. Hope someone can offer some advice. Thanks.

• The other day I realised that I hadn't updated this thread for a while, but I hadn't realised that it was almost a year! Quite a few pics here, but there has been a lot of plant growth, as you might imagine....

Out of the kitchen door and the raspberries have spread. I have been pruning the roses on a regular basis and they have spread nicely along the wall. This rose was already in the garden when I moved in, so I do not know the name of it.

The Chalet area ivy has really come on nicely. I have spent a lot of time feeding the tendrils through the plastic mesh and the trellis. It has paid off. I did the same with the rose that is growing from left to right. I cut it right back to a stump about three years ago and now it is spreading across the trellis sides and top. It came into bloom a few days ago.

These two trees were just a couple of feet high when I bought them. They are now almost six feet tall.

Similar view from October 2015

Tomato plants (two varieties) and behind them the strawberries in their new home. I had to dig them up and replant them because the slugs and snails ate all the fruit last year and the year before. The Perspex serves a dual purpose. It stops the Spadgers from pooping on the plants and acts as a mini greenhouse. So far, it seems to be working.

As you will see from the 2015 picture, this section of trellis was bare at the time. The rose 'Wedding Day' has spread beautifully up and across the mesh. I have also had to feed this through the mesh frame and it has now reached the far end.

It too is coming in to bloom. Because it has multiple heads, it creates a carpet effect. Another year and it should cover the whole of the top.

These raspberries have got way out of control and I've had to fence them in for this year at least. The bees are having fun with the whole area and certainly made the most of the fruit blossom.

The gooseberries are fruiting well this year and I cut back the loganberries from last year when they spread over a raised frame. Too much bird poop!

The rockery has also spread and the path with its stepping stones is now covered in this corner.

Last year the runner beans took up a lot of room and attracted a lot of blackfly. I have replaced them with (left to right) beetroot, carrots, onions and peas. The mesh is to keep the Cyrils from digging up the soil. The onions aren't doing too well, so I had to cover two of them with plastic containers that were being thrown out by the College engineering department.

This is where the strawberries used to be. I have planted half a dozen sunflowers here in their place.

The pyracantha is also spreading up the trellis.

This is the 'tiny' oak tree that came from the Monkton Nature Reserve shop a few years ago (thank you Wendy)

Loganberries

The ever successful 'Albertine' rose continues to spread and bloom.

'Paul's Delight' has covered more trellis and is also in bloom. Again, I have had to feed it through the mesh and trellis.

The hydrangea is new, the acer is a few years old now, but thriving now that I have given it more room.

Another view of the Albertine rose.

The view from the side gate into the lower garden.

Same view last June

Finally, the other 'old' rose that I have been training across the path. It's not really a climbing rose, so I have had to keep tying it down to the frame in order to get the desired effect. It has now met the honeysuckle coming the other way.

I'll try to get another update before the Summer is done, rather than waiting a whole year!

• Just realised that I forgot to take photos of the other climbing rose that I purchased (Dorothy Perkins). I will have to correct that tomorrow. The Asiatic Lilies are also just coming into bloom, so they can be included too.

• You put Alan Titchmarsh to shame  lol      Garden looks bloomin' lovely especially with all those fruits and veg :)

• Thanks Hazel. I'm hoping that the rhubarb comes through a bit better than last year. The gooseberries are covering it so I might have to get some more an plant it elsewhere. The sunflower bed is a possibility. I'm going to have a lot of Raspberries with any luck. The strawberries are also looking promising.

• I love the roses MC, you have done a grand job there and utilised all the space you made.   I hope those birds are showing their thanks and eating all the aphids they can, and bringing all their young to show their little paradise.

• The BT's and GT's are probably taking care of the aphids but most of the visiting youngsters are Starlings and they just leave lots of messages.

• I did have just one set of parents with two young starling, today somehow it seems to have multiplied somewhat!!

• Things have really come on, it does not take long for things to take off, wth a little rain and sunshine!

• Looking really lush. A wonderful bird friendly oasis in the heart of London. All your hard work is really paying off.