Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

What does Nyger seed grow into ?

During the summer months I had lots of sproutings from the dropped nyger seeds and kept pulling them out.
What would they grow into. I have just planted some Teasels and will kick myself if that's what my discarded nyger seeds would have turned into.

• Hi Birdwatcher

No need to kick yourself {wink}

Nyger seed grows into Thistles.

That is what Goldfinches love so much.

Teasel - Large seed head, which is attractive to Goldfinches. Teasels are easily identified with their prickly stem and leaves, and the inflorescence of purple, dark pink or lavender flowers that form a head on the end of the stems.

Goldfinches love Teasel seed heads and that is different all together

If I where you if you have a lot of Teasel plants appearing in your garden it is very invasive.  Had it in my last garden and it ended up growing like Triffids.  It is also not very nice as it has a very prickly stems and not pleasant if you get thorns in your fingers.

I am also in two minds to say you can keep some in a wild area of your garden (for the Goldfinches) but still that is how invasive it gets.  It is personal choice.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Chrissie C said:

During the summer months I had lots of sproutings from the dropped nyger seeds and kept pulling them out.
    What would they grow into. I have just planted some Teasels and will kick myself if that's what my discarded nyger seeds would have turned into.

• Hi Birdwatcher,

Nyjer seed is from a yellow plant that is native to Ethiopia apparently.The seed is similar to thistle seed, but the plants are entirely different.

• Chrissie C said:

The teasels are planted in a large pot and I found it quite easy to control them last year, so planted another pot just now  ready for next year as you are right the goldies love them
    Seems to be a bit of a  difference of opinion on the Nyger seeds

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 28/02/2010 22:11 in reply to Sparrow

Hi Sparrow

Well I never ....  we live and learn.   I knew it was a type of Thistle but not in the way we know them.

I have a deeper read into the subject

{'source' a book I have at home and I have used my own words}

Sparrow: Thank you for the information. The seeds are sent from other places as you have mentioned Sparrow - Ethiopia. 

Also Singapore and Myanamar.  It is a seed grown/tried/tested in North Amercian, and it is not related to the noxious weed thistle as we know in the UK.

Nyjer is still referred to a Thistle still.  It has not gone down well in some countries and some cities have tried to ban its sale.

Nyger = Nyjer = Niger = Thistle

Apparantly there where 15 types of Nyjer seed tried and tested over the years from other countries.  Goldfinches, Siskens and Repolls would only touch the Ethiopian Nyjer, and the North American Nyjer.  North Amercian Nyjer is supposed to be heat treated to prevent it form sprouting in North American soil.  Heat-treating is also kept the seeds well for storage purposes.

So it sounds although the Nyger seed is heat treated no matter where it is from, so it should not sprout in your garden at all.

The things that we find out about bird feed.

Sorted birdwatcher {thumbs up}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 28/02/2010 22:16 in reply to JudiM

Hi Birdwatcher

Good idea with the large pots for the Teasel {thumbs up}

The Teasel we had in our garden germinated itself on its own, and it was not good to run riot in your garden.

The Goldfinches will love the seed heads, and i would plant them for that reason alone.

Sorted with the Nyjer question, and Sparrow is right in what has been said on her post.

The title of 'Nyjer' is a 'Thistle' but not as we know the plant 'Thistle'   A bit of misguided name for Nyjer as it causes confusion unless you know all of the facts.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Chrissie C said:

The teasels are planted in a large pot and I found it quite easy to control them last year, so planted another pot just now  ready for next year as you are right the goldies love them
    Seems to be a bit of a  difference of opinion on the Nyger seeds

[/quote]

• Hi Blackbird,

Well, well!!! We do live and learn. I wish they would heat treat all our bird seed. I don't mind sunflowers, but I get all sorts of stuff sprouting.

This was a sunflower sprouting from my window box last summer. Look carefully and you can see my reflection in the window.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 28/02/2010 22:35 in reply to Sparrow

Hi Sparrow

IMHO: The thing is with Nyjer seed - heat-treated or not - though the birds love the heat treated seed - we have such a wet climate compared where the Nyjer originates from ie a hot country

Maybe our climate has been put on the back burner when it come to seeds gerinating at their own accord all over our gardens.

So maybe it is the case that no matter if the seed is heat treated it does not apply to the UK.

Maybe someone can enlighten us further on this subject.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Hi Sparrow
    Have to say my motto is if in doubt pull it out. If I didn't plant it I don't want it.
    Though your sunflower is lovely - and the reflection !!

Hi Blackbird
    Thanks for the research. I think I will plant some of the "sprouts" into a pot this year and see what happens.
    The teasel seeds I bought were RSPB approved and grew no higher than about 8" last year. The pot was on the patio and I didn't really see any evidence of self seeding unless they just died on the patio as is is sealed

• Apparently it looks like this.....

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 28/02/2010 23:06 in reply to juno

Hi Juno

Thank you for the interesting result - now the Nyjer Seed is shown at its full glory.

So much for the name of 'Thistle' - it does not suit the plant at all {puzzled}

How big does it grow.  Does the plant grow a single flower or multi-flowers?

Is only Yellow?

Regards

Kathy and Dave