Much of my day job at the moment is spent in the offices of organisations other than the RSPB and in particular the County Hall of West Sussex County Council.

As I arrive, I pass by the manicured lawns and rose beds that front the building, and head into whatever meeting I'm attending that day. But the bit I love the most is a rather tucked away corner, outside and around the back.

What the Council has done is abandon the very formal, and instead they've sown wildflower seeds.

It's a little haven of Wild Carrot, Fleabane, knapweeds and other species.

I think it is fantastic. There are bees and hoverflies and who knows what else in amongst the shelter and microclimates of all those stems and leaves. It is one giant wildlife salad.

I think it also brightens up this rather dull corner.

It cuts down the carbon footprint of all the mower work needed elsewhere. And it even is probably even kind of the purses of the folk of West Sussex because it doesn't need daily tending.

So a big thumbs up from me - it's definitely a big step in the right direction. And I look forward to the day when the Council - and society - feel that this wouldn't be out of place on the front lawn either!

Parents
  • I so agree with you! Our town council is still so pedantic about everything neat and tidy, flowers standing to attention in rows! It's probably down to the personalities involved, if the councillors want everything neat and tidy in their lives, they expect the same to apply everywhere. 'Britain in Bloom' doesn't really help - they expect the same. Will someone start a 'Wild Britain in Bloom' with prizes for the most flora and fauna species seen on judging day?!!

Comment
  • I so agree with you! Our town council is still so pedantic about everything neat and tidy, flowers standing to attention in rows! It's probably down to the personalities involved, if the councillors want everything neat and tidy in their lives, they expect the same to apply everywhere. 'Britain in Bloom' doesn't really help - they expect the same. Will someone start a 'Wild Britain in Bloom' with prizes for the most flora and fauna species seen on judging day?!!

Children
No Data