It's not usual for me to like fleshy plants - it can be all a bit plastic for my taste. But after my post about Sedum spectabile the other day, I seem to have got their succulence on my mind. So I thought I'd share some others that I have rather taken a fancy to, and which in my experience are all tops for Honeybees.

First up on the Iceplant catwalk we have this racy little number  - Sedum telephium Xenox. Sounds like a photocopier, but packs a real puch of deep pink flowers and plummy leaves.

This next is rather petite, as sedums go, growing only to about 12 inches (30cm) high, with the fitting name of Sedum 'Ruby Glow'. It is a hybrid, and grows small thanks to being telephium crossed with a prostrate Japanese species.

If you're after something more understated, then see if you can find the third of my picks, Sedum telephium subspecies fabaria. It needs a good Chelsea Chop in May to keep it under control (as you can do with all Iceplants), but if you do the graceful dome you should get is wonderful, made all the neater by the smaller leaves. It can get covered in bees.

And finally, here is Sedum telephium, subspecies maximum, and this is the cultivar Gooseberry Fool - a bit leggy for my garden but such fine beetroot thighs.

All of these here are perfectly hardy.

But you know what I really fancy? A bit of Sedum spectabile 'Hot Stuff'. No, honestly, I'm not making it up!

Parents
  • Many years ago I was given an ice plant, my sort of plant! I am unable to name the variety, but it grows to about 2ft tall.

I have a border next to some conifers, they appear to take most of the moisture from the ground, but the ice plant thrives.

Over the years I have broken bits off and simply stuck them in the ground, the border is now full. They do not seem to be affected by weather or pests and attract numerous butterflies.

Comment
  • Many years ago I was given an ice plant, my sort of plant! I am unable to name the variety, but it grows to about 2ft tall.

I have a border next to some conifers, they appear to take most of the moisture from the ground, but the ice plant thrives.

Over the years I have broken bits off and simply stuck them in the ground, the border is now full. They do not seem to be affected by weather or pests and attract numerous butterflies.

Children
No Data