One of the features of my garden over the last couple of weeks has been the sheer number of baby birds blundering about everywhere, fresh out of the nest.

Many still have the tell-tale yellow 'gape flanges', such as on this Robin. These are the fleshy edges at the base of the bill that, together with the bright inside of the young birds' mouths (the 'gape') provide the useful indication to parents of where to shove any food.

There's a brood of Wrens touring the garden, too, the young birds making high pitched begging noises almost constantly; they will encourage both parents to continue feeding them for well over a week after they have left the nest before they become independent. You can still just make out the yellow gape flange on this bird, too.

Meanwhile, up in Spruce tree, a young Woodpigeon, easy to tell from the adults by the lack of white neck markings, has found a good place to evade the Foxes that rove the garden at dawn and dusk.

I've also seen young Great Spotted Woodpeckers with their red crowns, young Goldfinches which don't have red faces, and there are speckly young Blackbirds everywhere (below).

So, does that mean that's it, the breeding season is over? Well, for some garden bird species certainly their use of a nest is over, even if they've still got hungry fledglings to feed dispersed around the garden.

However, some birds may still be midway through their latest brood, and a few may even be in the process of starting the next.

Remembering which species has what number of broods is a feat for a, erm, for a... what are they called, those people who can remember lots of things?

So I thought you might like a quick ready-reckoner of the typical number of broods raised by various garden birds:

• 1 brood: Crow, Magpie, Jackdaw, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Swift
  • 1-2 broods: Starling, Woodpigeon, Chaffinch, Great Tit
  • 2 broods: Greenfinch, Wren, House Martin
  • 2-3 broods: House Sparrow, Goldfinch, Robin, Dunnock, Swallow
  • 2-4 broods: Blackbird, House Sparrow
  • 3-6 broods: Collared Dove

Into this equation, you need to factor that some first-time parents might not manage the lower end of the number I've shown, and a few gluttons for punishment may try to slot in an extra brood than the top end.

Plus most birds will re-lay a clutch if their eggs are taken by predators.

Overall, the big message is that many of those species that rear multiple broods may still be very busy indeed, which is a good reminder that the baby boom isn't over yet - and those hedgetrimmers, shears and loppers should stay safely in the shed for a while longer!

Parents Comment Children
No Data