• Sharing the joy of a wildlife-friendly garden

There was a time when having a wildlife-friendly garden was considered, well, a bit odd! I'm pleased to say that we're now at the point where it is becoming seen as standard; expected, even.

Part of that step forward is thanks to people showcasing their wildlife-friendly gardens to the public, so I was delighted this week to get an email from one of my RSPB colleagues, Susan Sutton, to say that her garden in…

• Letting your barriers down for wildlife

One of my RSPB projects at the moment is working with Barratt Homes on their largest development in the UK which is at Kingsbrook, Aylesbury. Construction of the houses started in July, and they are incorporating all manner of wildlife-friendly features so that nature has a home at the same time that the new residents have a home, to the benefit of all.

One of the key things that Barratt are installing, to their immense…

• What's on nature's Christmas menu?

I've got a steady stream of House Sparrows, Great Tits and Goldfinches now visiting my feeders, but I've got up to 25 bird species each week visiting the garden and for many my supplementary food isn't what they are after.

So what is the garden offering the rest of them?

It's one of those dificult questions of wildlife gardening, for getting a detailed understanding of what the Dunnocks, Robins and Wrens…