• December in the wildlife-friendly garden

Those people with amazing memories (that's me out, then!) will remember from my last monthly round-up that November isn't my favourite month in the garden. I've had several people voice their empathy with that.

Fortunately, I'm far more sanguine about December. Barely do we seem to have we entered winter than we soon reach the shortest day and the evenings begin - albeit very slowly - to get lighter again…

• Stocking up on the food and drink...

I had my first mince pie of the season this week. Yes, it seems that I can no longer deny that Christmas is coming, so it was timely when this RSPB/Aldi video came dropping into my inbox with something you might like to try this weekend. It won't get the goose fat, but it might allow your garden birds to pile on the ounces!

https://youtu.be/aTSmRMBFRbw

You see, apparently, this weekend it is Stir-up Sunday, when…

• A happy ending after being up to your oxters in mud

I'd hate this blog to be confined to tales from south-coast softie land! So my huge thanks to Jenny Tweedie from the RSPB's Glasgow Office for getting in touch and sharing some of her experiences in her garden north of the border this summer:

It’s been a dreadful summer for gardeners in Scotland. We had one really nice week back in April (I remember it well; I had the flu…) but apart from that and a few sporadic…

• Aldi's mini school gardens for wildlife: it's child's play!

The Aldi competition for schools to win one of 25 mini gardens for wildlife had excellent take-up, and I understand Aldi are announcing the winning schools very shortly.

Each of the successful schools will get a quality raised bed made from timber from sustainable sources that they can then fill with a giant bag of peat-free compost and plant up with wildlife-friendly plants (grown peat-free, of course!).

The star piece…