• You cannot bee serious!

I am a wicked person!  I purchased two hanging baskets of trailing geraniums pink and white – lovely.  They made their debut last weekend in glorious sunshine and soon attracted the attentions of bees.  Except ............. they are not real!  Bought for purely practical reasons you understand - less dead-heading and watering to do - but boy did I feel guilty.  So, this weekend, I am going to make amends and create a…

• Going potty

Gardening for wildlife in pots is a fascinating challenge, and hugely rewarding. And I can say that from first-hand experience - at the RSPB South East office where I'm based, we have a roof terrace (well, it's more of a roof pit) where the only way to grow plants is in pots.

Some of you will be in the same position, having no open ground in which to plant things. For the rest of you, I bet you have patios and…

• Gardener's World Live here we come...

It's about time I shared progress on the RSPB feature garden we're preparing for Gardeners World Live this June at the NEC.

I quickly need to explain that it isn't one of those big budget show gardens that get all the attention. But each year, on a shoestring budget, we like to try our best to put on a good show in a big indoor garden.

Well, my design, which is all about celebrating the diversity of nature…

• Oh, the taste of the sweet nectar

Thank you for your fascinating posts in response to my blog last week, with tales of all your Blackcaps, Bramblings and dog hair!

I've got story after story lining up to tell you, but they will all have to wait because the Blackcap saga got even more interesting for me today.

For once again 'my' Gingercap reappeared, merrily perching on the bird feeders and scoffing sunflower hearts and clinging to the fat ball…

• When the summer shift met the winter shift at the pit-stop

I don't know about you but my bird feeders are heaving at the moment. I'm fill them up in the morning before work and by the time I'm home they're empty again.

In a normal spring this can be one of the leanest periods for many garden birds, with natural seed supplies exhausted and very few insects on the wing. So imagine what it must be like this year, given the conditions - we even had yet more snow…