• Hedging Happiness

I planted my first native hedge ten years ago.

When I say ‘hedge’, think more about a 15-metre line of the weakest-looking bare twigs sticking out of the ground. Frankly it looked pathetic. At that stage it clearly didn’t offer wildlife anything except a good laugh.

But I followed the text book, laid squares of old carpet around their base, gave them the odd bucket of water, and hoped for the best…

• Read all about it, read all about it!

As well as my own perambulations around my own garden and those of others, I like to try and keep up with stories in the national press that are relevant to us wildlife gardeners. So here are the headlines from the last few months:

The shape of British summers to come?
    Various of the papers reported the prediction that the wet, cloudy summer we have had could become something of a fixture in future years due to the melting…

• Every little discovery helps

In my quest to probe around the gardens of Britain to find what wildlife is doing what, I always get a thrill when I make a new discovery.

So last weekend was especially exciting when I found a new plant attractive to nectaring butterflies while visiting the lovely Merriments Garden in East Sussex.

(Now when I say 'new', I fully expect that someone else has known about it for ages. But it was definitely a new one to…

• Impossible wildlife gardening made possible

I've been meaning to write this blog for a while. I know I'm prone to getting excited, but I'm telling you this is AMAZING!

In May, I got to fulfil a dream and visit Shetland. Yes, amazing scenery, stunning seabird colonies, Otters - the works.

But I most certainly wasn't going to go all that way and not check out what gardening is like in such a far-flung, wind-lashed, rain-soaked place.

Now most of…