• Sticky business for the Song Thrush

At last! I’ve had some rain in my Sussex garden. It’s nowhere near enough to fill up the wetlands or stave off the hosepipe bans, but it is dearly welcome.

But it does come with a downside – the synchronised emergence of a marauding army of snails and slugs in my garden each night. It's raining now as I write, and I can almost hear the sound of chomping!

Now all the gardening for wildlife books…

• 28 Apr 2012
  • How to set a garden on fire

Just before Christmas, the RSPB did me the most amazing favour. I work out of the South East regional office (from which I help set up new nature reserves - this gardening lark is my hobby), and in November the RSPB moved to a new office.

For the RSPB, it meant that we now have much a more environmentally-friendly building.

For me, it meant that I now have the Pavilion Gardens right opposite. Heaven! I've actually started…

• 20 Apr 2012
  • Rosemary the Reliable

There are some flowers which, wherever I see them, I know I will find some insect enjoying itself there.

Right now, one of these reliable wildlife plants is the glorious bushy subshrub from the herb garden, Rosemary Rosmarinus officinalis.

Down here in the south, it has been flowering happily since the end of February, and the Honeybees seem delighted with that fact! I realise that further north it may only just be coming…

• 13 Apr 2012
  • Water: it's liquid gold

Here in my Sussex garden, 1.5mm of rain fell last night. Woohoo! No, really - it's cause to celebrate! It's the first rain here since 16th March.

But it means that only 73mm of rain has fallen here since 1st February, less than I normally get in February alone. Yes, it's definitely drought-zone here, and my garden is showing the signs, as I know it will be for many of you out there. I see that even parts of Yorkshire…

• 5 Apr 2012