• Blotched but beautiful

There is just SO much I could talk about, it's such an amazing month for garden wildlife. It thought I'd do 'Plant of the Day', but events today have instead prompted me to be extravagant and go for 'Moth of the Day'!

The thing is that I had the pleasure of visiting some friends this morning who had borrowed my moth trap overnight in their meadowside garden. And here was perhaps the pick of the…

• 28 Jun 2010
  • It’s all going on behind the butterfly scenes

I promised that today’s blog would be a butterfly blog, but what a strange time to do it – there’s hardly a butterfly to be seen at the moment.

The reason is that we’re in the ‘June lull’. The spring butterflies are largely over, and the summer ones are yet to emerge.

But of course, while the adults may be nowhere to be seen, the butterflies are still out there, only in less obvious forms…

• 25 Jun 2010
  • Massed passion at Gardeners World Live

Well, that was good fun! Hello to everyone I got to speak to at Gardeners World Live in Birmingham this weekend, and apologies if I missed anyone as I gadded about through the crowds doing my various talks (and buying plants!).

I'll add in photos for you to peruse of the RSPB stand and some of the show gardens once they're downloaded, but here were my headlines:

* RSPB volunteers had done a brilliant job …

• 21 Jun 2010
  • Out gardening!

Adrian is currently away at Gardeners World Live, but will be back on Monday.

"Either see you there, or have a great weekend in the garden, folks!"

• 18 Jun 2010
  • See you at Gardeners World Live?

I'd be a fool if I didn't start off with an advert of sorts: If you are within reach of Birmingham this week and not crowd-shy, then why not pop down and see us at Gardeners World Live at the NEC? The show runs from Wednesday 16 - Sunday 20 June. and we're on stand RHS4 in hall 20. We'd love to see you.

Exciting as Gardeners World Live is, it will mean four days when I don't get to go into my garden.…

• 13 Jun 2010
  • Wildlife water features

Responding to my blog about Snail-proof Gardening, Sunflower asked, "Any advice on a water feature would be good.  I can't dig holes or feed in electricity!"

Well, last autumn I set myself exactly that challenge - to see for myself the pitfalls (and joys) of having a wildlife water feature suitable for exactly the scenario Sunflower describes.

Long-term readers of the blog may remember that I bought myself…

• 11 Jun 2010
  • Damsel dramas

In the world of the damselfly, scorching Saturday was a busy one in my garden. I couldn’t help but keep popping back to the pond to watch the events unfold.

There was no action until about 10 o’clock, as the sun swings round and floods the pond with light. As if from nowhere, the mature adult male damselflies of two species arrived at the pond – Large Red, and Azure. They took up station on the flat pads of Marsh…

• 7 Jun 2010
  • Will you Make Your Nature Count?

One of the sounds of my childhood summers was the soft twittering of House Martins in their nests outside my bedroom window. Even now, just thinking about it evokes powerful feelings. I loved these little birds, so neatly tailored, such athletes in the air, that came year after year all the way from Africa to raise their chicks next to me. The photo is one I took last year when I went to visit my parents. I think we can…

• 4 Jun 2010
  • Life in the long grass

Right in the middle of the growing season with the sometimes warm and often wet weather we’ve been experiencing keeping on top of the mowing is certainly a challenge. But spare a thought that each time we pop out to run the mower over the grass, it then becomes a challenge for lots of invertebrates to stay alive. I’ve added a few pictures of some likely candidates.

Grass is much undervalued as a wildlife resource…

• 2 Jun 2010