Headless Black bird

I sadly came across a dead blackbird at the bottom of a hedge in my garden this morning, it had no head and another wound at the nape of its neck.  Until 3 days ago I had regularly seen around 6 blackbirds feeding in my back yard both male and female, when I noticed ALL my visiting birds only here in small numbers, and no Blackbirds.  What is going on? and what could have killed my bird? I live on open farm land.

• Cat would be a good bet, I've seen that kind of thing from cats before

• Thanks Michael M, though we have a dog and no cats, unless one has visited here and I missed it. we've lived here for 4 years and the only animals we see are Deer and Rabbits and Hares, I have heard a funny sound screeching at night sometimes which maybe an Owl, could that have done this? no feathers on the ground.

• Cat is certainly a leading potential culprit but I think a corvid may be another to consider. The carrion crow and magpie rarely tackle a healthy adult bird the size of a blackbird but if it had died of natural causes or an accident (window collision maybe), the body would be fair game as carrion to these opportunistic species, in which case they often target the head.

• Thanks IanH

I have seen a few crows and lots of Magpies here over the time we've been here, it's just sad that all my garden birds are keeping away just now, this is the 3rd day my food offerings have gone uneaten when usually I'm being eaten out of house and home! (no mess bird feed and fat balls)

I will keep my eye open for a stray cat, the fireworks may have scared one from across the field.

• Thanks Rob.  The weather has improved and may be this has changed their feeding habits, but I also think something has scared them too.

• My garden has gone very quiet too. I had up to eight Blackbirds chasing each other around the lawn in the cold snap before Christmas but they and most of the finches seem to have disappeared. Just a few tits coming to the feeders.

I think this very mild weather means they have dispersed for more natural food in the countryside. They'll be back if the weather turns cold again. Fickle little blighters.

• Hi TeeJay, it is comforting to know I'm not alone with a 'quiet' garden :)

• I think many gardens are quiet at the moment because there is a lot of natural food out there.We are only a couple of hundred yards from fields and riverbank and during milder weather very few birds use the feeders although there are plenty of birds around.I ad always presumed this was because there was enough food out there,come a cold snap and they all pile in.

• Likewise here on the south coast its all gone very quiet too. During the summer we were mobbed by starlings and sparrows but now just a couple of birds each day and most of the food is untouched. The sparrows are still around in hedges in other gardens but nothing here. I can understand the summer months being busy with chicks to feed but it seems abnormally quiet now.  Maybe just an abundance of wild food???