Dead baby birds

Im new to this so 'hi' everyone, advice needed please...I went out this morning to put food on the bird table and across the lawn were three dead baby birds that were not properly developed I.e. no feathers,very young, and still slightly transparent if that makes sense. It was really sad to see and even worse to pick them up, still not sure what to do with them? Any ideas why they would be on the lawn, they're not obviously attacked and there's no sign of nest around the garden.
  • Hi Amy, welcome to the forum. You've obviously been made to feel welcome with your views and advice. I enjoy reading other peoples experiences and asvice that they have to give. Miles better than facebook!!

Sorry to hear about your find but everyone has given sound advice. I remember my cat bringing back small birds (before I put a bell on) and I felt so guilty by encouraging birds to my garden only to be killed by my cat :( now she has a bell on theres no catching (touch wood) I did bury the birds as well.

My cat only brings back shrews now.

• Thanks. When I think of how much effort she put in to building the nest and feeding them, it just seems like such a waste. Like you said, it's nature...

Also just realised why cats wear bells!

• Its very important that cats wear bells. Any cat that doesn't wear a bell is irresponsible of the owner. We all know cats kill 60 million birds a year!!

• That's why I don't like cats!

• I have 2 cats but one is very lazy and the other does go out but she doesnt catch anything now she wears a bell. I suppose its not really the cats fault as its built in to their nature to catch any moving thing.

But owners should be responsible buy putting a bell on...

• all three of my cats wear a bell even though they are house cats (when i can get them to wear a collar for more than 2 days at a time,) unfortunately the neighbours cats do not! and we have woken up to mice in neat lines on the patio weve even had 2 watervoles side by side lined up perfectly, who knows why they do that? so id guess a cat had your little darlings. :( mine are too lazy to catch a cold let alone a bird not that they have the chance.lol thank goodness most responsible owners provide bells.

• Hello Amy

Sorry to hear about your baby birds xx

About attracting more birds to you garden ,

sunflower seeds are very popular and suet feeds.

Put out water for them to as this is popular and essential,

you dont have to even get an expensive bird bath (an old plant pot saucer works well.

Birds can take a while to get used to feeder but will soon catch on to a good thing.

love and best wishes

Trixie