huge gathering of birds

While walking the dogs, my husband saw huge numbers of crows and jackdaws flying into a nearby group of trees, this would have been during the morning so they wouldn't have been going to roost. Though a lifelong countryman, he'd never seen anything like this as there must have been upwards of two hundred birds. If anyone could throw any light on this, we would be extremely grateful Thankyou.

• Phew! Glad to hear that!

Lynn - as a newish contributor myself, the tone of these forums is generally knowledgeable but light-hearted. A few like to exchange banter but I've never known anyone knowingly cause offence :-)  Hope you enjoy your time spent in the forums as much as I do!

• Some years ago we were out walking in the Fernworthy plantation on Dartmoor when we heard a sound of mass twittering in the distance. As we got closer, we saw hundreds of birds of all different kinds congregating in a group of large trees. The sound of them all twittering and calling was almost deafening and quite awe inspiring. I still wonder what caused them to congregate in this manner.