huge gathering of birds

While walking the dogs, my husband saw huge numbers of crows and jackdaws flying into a nearby group of trees, this would have been during the morning so they wouldn't have been going to roost. Though a lifelong countryman, he'd never seen anything like this as there must have been upwards of two hundred birds. If anyone could throw any light on this, we would be extremely grateful Thankyou.

• Hello,

I was once told that crows find a meal then tell the others and end up in large numbers to eat the next day, by doing this they increase they chances of getting a meal. I dont know how much standing this has but the only other reason i can think of is that its winter and most birds flock together in large numbers, some like Wrens even nest together.

• Rooks & jackdaws often roost and forage together. Crows do gather, but tend to be less 'sociable' as far as I know. I think probably they are forming large flocks like a lot of birds species this time of year!

• We have a large number of carrion crows who have made their home in two large trees at the rear of our back garden. The trees are so close together, the branches intertwine in some places. The crows have been there for a number of years now, all year round. They can be seen (and heard!) more at evening and early morning but do return for periods of 15 - 30 minutes at a time throughout the day.

• Lyn, we are surrounded by farmland and always have numbers of very noisy rooks and crows around but have never tried to count them ! Will report back if I see they number anything near your 200. 1-2-3-----------

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 26/10/2009 19:59 in reply to Brenda H

hi there

I have to say we live in a built up area, and  we do have a couple of Common Crows who like ot hover about and 'Caw' a lot. Their favourite place is on top of the neighbours roof.

MarJus - like you, I wondered about the social life of crows. They seen together, and then they are not.  They are independant once more.  Never sure what the situation is with them. So I tend to agree with you that I think they are less sociable as a group.

Squirrel:  Love Carrion Crows and never tire of them at all.  Just lovely faithful birds to their 'bird' partners and they mate for life too!!  They are loyal birds to one another.

Brenda: Love Rooks to, and i notice that they like to be together as a group at all time. It is although they depend on each other for support.

Count the numbers of Crows, now that is a major task! LOL eekkkkk

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Rooks and jackdaws do like to roost together in large numbers at dusk, more so than other corvids. Our Buckenham Marshes reserve in Norfolk hosts a roost containing tens of thousands of these birds. Certainly worth a visit.  

• Thanks Richard.

Went to look at numbers here late afternoon and definitely beat the 200.  The farmer had turned a field over last week and it was attracting  hundreds of crows and rooks but strangely enough not one jackdaw !

• Tres amusant Breda! I realise your name isn't Breda but neither is mine Lyn, it's Lynn! Mine was a straightforward question seeking the views of interested parties, not a facetious, unhelpful reply like yours!

Unknown said:

Lyn, we are surrounded by farmland and always have numbers of very noisy rooks and crows around but have never tried to count them ! Will report back if I see they number anything near your 200. 1-2-3-----------

• Lynn very sorry I  didn't spell your name correctly and you thought my reply was facetious. My reply was not intended to be interpreted in such a manner and as I later said, I did check on numbers in the evening, but I will certainly watch my wording in future. Sorry you were offended.

• [quote user="Brenda H"

Thank you for that Brenda. This is the first time I've asked a question and I guess in future I should 'lighten up a bit'. I just felt as if you were mocking me - I over-reacted!