One very poorly blackbird

I have a blackbird hanging around one of the sites where I feed mealworms and suet pellets and there is something very wrong with it. There are two large, livid, rather ragged looking lumps each side of its throat, either abcesses that are supurating, wounds where something has tried to tear it's throat out or growths of some kind. I don't think it can fly, but it can still hop for England because I get close but not close enough, mind you, I'm so slow I could be done for parking:-( It's drinking and I think it's eating. I don't think I'll ever catch it to minister to it and I know I shall have to let nature take it's course but I wondered if anyone has ever seen anything remotely similar, in case it's some weird disease I know nothing of? Personally, I think injury that may have abcessed. Poor little thing:-(

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 23/03/2011 22:31

Hi Kezsmum

That is sad news about the Blackbird.  I remember answering a post like this from the old RSPB Forum in 2007.  Sad news if any of our birds suffer at all in any way.

Sadly some are prone to illness and I am sure the short life span is connected to all the stress that the birds of any species go through.  Some birds are alright and they get on with living and avoid all the pitfalls that life flings at them - just like humans do.

Blackbirds are quite resilent due to the way they behave when danger is around - they stand their ground to be counted.

All you can do is feed the bird and just check it is alright - cats stay away and the likes so the bird is not tortured at all

Let us know what happens next

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Awwww what a dreadful shame for the poor little man. Alas there seems nothing more you can do other than water and feed, and try to keep predators away from him.

Please let us know what happens. This is very sad for you.

• Susan H said:
    This is very sad for you.

Sadder for the poor bird but yes, I am upset. It took some mealworms but not many, tried to peck at a feeder I'd left on the ground and took some water, but I can see it getting weaker and weaker. I almost caught it, but failed. I thought I'd keep it in a warm, dark place and, as you say, keep the predators away but it's not playing ball at the moment:-( I don't think it'll last long.

Thanks Blackbird for the advice. It's in dense cover at the moment and I've left mealworms and water nearby but it's very weak.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 23/03/2011 23:51 in reply to Kezsmum

hi Kezsmum

I hope that the bird recovers and the less stress the better. 

Handling birds causes more problems for them to be honest.... unless you are trying to catch them when they get loose in the house by a mistake - then you turn into Pele the goalkeeper to catch them in mid flight.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Nicki C said:
    Handling birds causes more problems for them to be honest...

I'm sure you're right, so I've given up as I suspected I might be making it worse. I just wanted to spare it the attentions of next doors cats but let's hope it's tucked away well enough that they can't get at it.

• Kezsmum said:
     Hi Kezsmum   I'm very sorry to hear about your blackbird, do hope it soon recovers it's a pity you're unable to help it but as long as it's drinking and feeding alright  I wouldn't too much, even though it can be worrying, as long you can keep  an eye on the other predators such as cats and bigger prey in Magpies, it should be okay,

Chirpy

I have a blackbird hanging around one of the sites where I feed mealworms and suet pellets and there is something very wrong with it. There are two large, livid, rather ragged looking lumps each side of its throat, either abcesses that are supurating, wounds where something has tried to tear it's throat out or growths of some kind. I don't think it can fly, but it can still hop for England because I get close but not close enough, mind you, I'm so slow I could be done for parking:-( It's drinking and I think it's eating. I don't think I'll ever catch it to minister to it and I know I shall have to let nature take it's course but I wondered if anyone has ever seen anything remotely similar, in case it's some weird disease I know nothing of? Personally, I think injury that may have abcessed. Poor little thing:-(

• Hi all, I know this is an old thread, but thought I would add to it. There is a female blackbird that comes to our door a few times a day. Nearly 2 years ago, she lost lots of head, body and tail feathers and looked terrible. I cut raisins up for her and also, put a mealworm, seed and fat cake out for a couple of hours in the day for all birds. She really improved, but has now started to lose feathers again and has a lump on her neck. She still eats lots and drinks the water plus the other day bathed in the large plant pot water holder I put out for her. I don’t know what else I can do - do if someone does know, I would welcome a reply. Thanks
  • Hi there, at this time of year birds will be going through the moulting process replacing old worn feathers for new ones and can look quite scruffy following the busy breeding season where feathers get worn and tatty; other reasons could be feather mites which can cause balding and small lumps can be ticks which should eventually drop off when the tick has had its fill of blood. Without a photo of the bird it is hard to narrow it down but it can take birds about 5 weeks to replace feathers and August is the prime time for being in mid moult. Head feathers are usually the last to be replaced. I would keep providing her with the mealworm, soaked raisins and shallow bowl of water and hopefully by mid September you will see a very healthy blackbird.

Note:   I would replace your email user name as this site is open to world wide web and you could get spammed.     

• Thanks for the helpful info. Grinning Also, I’ve looked to see how to change my user name, but can’t see where to do it.
  • I've never tried changing username so maybe other members can advise how to do it via your profile/settings. If not then you can ask RSPB membership by emailing membership@rspb.org.uk