Do birds have lunch hours?

Hi

I know it's a silly question but today the birds in my garden were acting strangely. Normally they visit in dribs and drabs throughout the day but today they all seemed to come at once between 1 and 2pm. I made a list and took a few photos through the closed patio doors. There is nothing in the list that is new to my garden but they were all here at once which I have never seen before. The weather has  been dull and overcast all day so don't think it was a change in the weather or temperature, it was just as though they had all left the office for their strict hour's lunch break then at 2pm it went dead out there and have only seen one bird since. Any ideas why this should happen? It is not a large garden but I have feeders all round and the pigeons and doves provide for the ground feeders but scattering the seed on the ground as they eat on the hanging feeders.

Here is the list, where there are more than one of a species it means they were in the garden at the same time:

Song Thrush, 22 Starlings, Dunnock. 2 Magpies, 5 Collared Doves, 2 Feral Pigeons, 2 Blue Tit, 2 Blackcaps (female) 2 Robins, Great Tit, 9 Chaffinches ( m & f), Blackbird (m) 2 Jackdaws, Goldfinch , Greenfinch (f), Coal Tit, 12 House Sparrows and a Great Spotted Woodpecker (f).

Ruthie 

• Birds are active in the morning but singing - the feeders are quiet. At 8 o'clock exactly my woody comes flying onto my feeding pole every day :) My birds like lunch times :)

•  

Unknown said:

Lovely photos Ruthie, especially love the Jackdaw, they have such mesmerising eyes!

My birds seem to feast all day long here, especially the Siskins! They are a relatively new species to my garden but since 1 male visited, I now have up to 8 (both male and female) visiting daily. They just sit and gorge themselves! I also have Goldfinches, Chaffinches, Robins, Blackbirds, 1 Dunnock, Collared Doves, 'ASBO's With Wings' (Starlings!), Blue, Great, Coal, LT Tits all visiting throughout the day. They come regularly, there isn't many minutes in my garden that there isn't some species of bird eating! Some hours are busier than others but I expect this time of year they are needing the extra energy for nest building.

Hi,

I think you have the answer there that they need extra energy at this time of the year for nest building and mating etc., I never thought of that. There are certainly more birds about at the moment and at times it is a feeding frenzy out there. The local cats have noticed it too and are prowling about, one tried to climb one of the trees where the feeders are today. I banged on the glass door with my stick but it totally ignored me. I wonder if those plants which cats are supposed to hate actually work? Me shouting at them doesn't!

Ruthie

• Very interesting post, it is fascinating to read.

My birds start feeding at first light. When I go out about 8 to 8.30 at the moment they are all in the trees surrounding our garden, making the most incredible noise...............I love it.

As has been said, the small birds, coal tits, bluetits etc feed continually. The siskins, chaffinch, bramblings and goldfinch feed most of the time but do have quiet periods but the times do vary. I do see "feeding frenzies" quite often with every feeder full, birds flyng around squawking all over the place and hordes of ground feeding birds. They had a mad hour today about 10am for no particular reason that I could see. LOL

I have a visiting male sparrowhawk and a buzzard. The hawk came through yesterday and or course there were warning cries from several birds and the garden emptied for quite a while. If I had time, I would love to sit all day and conduct proper studies ..........one day (sigh).

• Hello Ruthie, I usually have birds coming in to our garden about 7.30am then 9am ,and at lunch time as well as 3pm or there abouts. Lovely photos you took.

Best wishes

Jenny

• Unknown said:

Hello Ruthie, I usually have birds coming in to our garden about 7.30am then 9am ,and at lunch time as well as 3pm or there abouts. Lovely photos you took.

Best wishes

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for that and for the information,

regards

Ruthie

• Arthur N said:

Very interesting post, it is fascinating to read.

My birds start feeding at first light. When I go out about 8 to 8.30 at the moment they are all in the trees surrounding our garden, making the most incredible noise...............I love it.

As has been said, the small birds, coal tits, bluetits etc feed continually. The siskins, chaffinch, bramblings and goldfinch feed most of the time but do have quiet periods but the times do vary. I do see "feeding frenzies" quite often with every feeder full, birds flyng around squawking all over the place and hordes of ground feeding birds. They had a mad hour today about 10am for no particular reason that I could see. LOL

I have a visiting male sparrowhawk and a buzzard. The hawk came through yesterday and or course there were warning cries from several birds and the garden emptied for quite a while. If I had time, I would love to sit all day and conduct proper studies ..........one day (sigh).

Hi,

Thanks for your most interesting and informative response. I find it very interesting trying to work out why birds behave the way they do on different days and different seasons. Unfortunately I do have time to sit and watch them all day (disabled and can't walk) but still don't understand them!

thanks

Ruthie

• Ruth J said:
    I wonder if those plants which cats are supposed to hate actually work?

I looked them up and apparently they're not hardy, so unless you have somewhere to overwinter them you'll need to replace them every year. Cat nip planted well away from the feeder tree may distract them - you can grow that from seed. In my experience you'll have to replant though because cats roll in it and practically squash it to death:-))