Chaffinch attacking windows

For two years we have had a chaffinch attacking widows at our residence. We have tried turning off all electrical equipment, in case a hum is attracting it, without sucess. We have also tried closing the curtains, this has not produced any results.

We are concerned that this bird may be injured because he hits the window with great force, for a small bird.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• How very odd! I've had jackdaws banging on the window at the crack of dawn to get me to hurry up with the peanuts at our last house and at the house before my only ever sighting of a bullfinch was when it was banging on the bedroom window. A local birder suggested it was hoovering up small insects caught in webs and so on. Not sure if that's true, I'm not sure if bullfinches are all that big on insects. I thought it might have been pecking at its own reflection. Is that possible with your chaffinch? A funny business all the same and are you sure it's the same chaffinch, is it possible you have a family of head bangers?

• Very strange!

Have you tried putting stickers on the window,I believe you can get some that the birds can see but we cannot.

I have Bluetits which attack their reflections in the windows but this is not quite the same as flying at a window (if you see what I mean!).

I expect others will be along soon with their ideas.

Rachel

• Hi Inde Special

He is attacking his reflection because he thinks that there is another chaffinch in his territory.

There is nothing you can do, apart from possibly putting something on or near the outside of the window where he is attacking his reflection.

• Unknown said:

For two years we have had a chaffinch attacking widows at our residence. We have tried turning off all electrical equipment, in case a hum is attracting it, without sucess. We have also tried closing the curtains, this has not produced any results.

We are concerned that this bird may be injured because he hits the window with great force, for a small bird.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Inde,

While it can see its own reflection it will probably continue.It sounds like it is being territorial to me.I don't think the same Chaffinch would actually fly into the window more than once by accident he he.

I had birds flying into my windows so i bought  blinds which i move with the natural light and that has stoppeds it happening for me.Chaffs are often seen fighting with themselves on car windows and mirrors where they see themselves as the enemy.Nowt as strange as birds ha ha.

Good luck in sorting it out though and i hope your bird stays safe :0)

• I have seen long-tailed tits and blue tits taking insects from spider-webs though! But never a Chaffinch.

• Hey There,

That is so strange having a wee chaffinch attacking your window. I once had a Magpie sitting on my window sill taping on the window as if he wanted to get in. It totally freaked me out I closed the curtains and ran upstairs lol.

• Woodpecker said:

Hi Inde Special

He is attacking his reflection because he thinks that there is another chaffinch in his territory.

There is nothing you can do, apart from possibly putting something on or near the outside of the window where he is attacking his reflection.

Agree with the attacking own reflection suggestion. I remember as a child there was a local chaffinch who regularly had a "fight" with the chaffinch he could see in wing mirrors on my Dad's car.  

• We have had several other threads recently about birds attacking their reflections in windows.

My friend showed me a great tit attacking his reflection in a small utility room window last spring while I was visiting.

• I too have a chaffinch who for the last 48 hours, in daylight hours, has been tapping my window every few minutes - either sitting on the window ledge and pecking away or flying into it from the tree adjacent. Worried as he really does go for it and it is loud enough to wake me from the other end of a pretty large bungalow!!

• I found a picture of a hawk on the internet, printed it out and stuck it in the window.  It worked immediately.