Can Jackdaws fly UP chimneys?

Hello all.

I have a question about Jackdaws in chimneys.

I have had Jackdaws nesting in my chimney for several years and they seem to have been quite successful. I don't use the chimney and apart from the odd stray twig it has never been a problem. This morning though it seems like most of the nest has fallen down into the hearth, I imagine because of the recent rain and wind. 

I heard rumblings and a lot of Jackdaw commotion beforehand so already had a sheet to hand to cover the fireplace. One unfortunate Jackdaw came down with the nest squawking loudly. When I looked behind the sheet to see where he was, he flew back up the chimney and seemed to stop on a ledge just a few feet up - I could hear him flapping every time I moved the sheet.

I went to get a torch but when I returned (and for the rest of the day) there has been no noise from the Jackdaw. The whole front of the fireplace was covered by a sheet and he didn't escape into the room. Is it possible that he flew back up the chimney? (Just for info, it's a two storey house with a pitched roof and the chimney itself is about 2 foot wide inside.)

Thanks for any info!

• Am no expert but would imagine that the wingspan of the Jackdaw would prevent it from being able to fly up your small chimney ... are you sure that it's not still on the ledge trapped by the sheet? I can only suggest opening a window wide & removing the sheet so the bird has a chance to escape!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Depending on the condition the inside of the chimney it might possibly have managed to scale the inside but I agree with Wendy - take the risk of some soot and stuff being spread about and remove the dust sheet and allow some time for the bird to drop down and escape. I had a couple of young magpies drop down mine and had to do that.

I am also going to suggest that you look at having the chimney swept even though it's not in use. My daughter kept finding dermacide beetles and odd grease spots in her house and as part of the renovations opened up the boarded fire places - huge amounts of sticks and bird skeletons (jackdaw and starling) were removed and they have capped the tops off to prevent it happening in the future

Cin J

• Thanks for the replies.

The sheet isn't a dust sheet, just an old, thin bedsheet and doesn't really block the light very much at all. Looking up the chimney with a torch, it's actually wider than I said and no sign (sight or sound) of the Jackdaw, so I guess it must've been able to find its way back up the chimney.
  • Germain said:
    hey have capped the tops off to prevent it happening in the future

Hi Germain...hope daughter has not sealed top with cap,as the chimney needs to breathe, I have fitted cowl/pot covers with a netted type gap, to prevent birds accessing.Just thought I'd mention CHOL:

and hope it managed to climb back up,  a quick brush could assist,if bird still there, maybe it would get a free ride,up to freedom.

• Any type of sheet would deter a bird from escapiing no matter how thin ... do hope it managed to make it's way up to freedom, agree with Kate re the type of cowl for chimney!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr