bird of prey chick

Hi, I am hoping someone can help.  we live in West Kent and are quite rural.  since this morning we have heard what sounds like a bird of prey chick screaming for its parents - the sounds has got weaker over the day.....and although we havent seen the nest, we know roughly where it is.  Is this reportable - we are no bird experts but its quite distressing hearing this poor little thing!

• I can't really help you much, however, harsh it might seem, the chances are there is nothing to worry about. Young birds will scream when they feel they should be fed, or if they can detect one of the parents coming to the nest hopefully with food.

Also, my advice is not to go near the nest whatsoever. All nests are to be left undisturbed as per the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. This is in force every year until the end of September, when most young birds will have fledged.

If you feel further investigation is required, then contact your local RSPCA or use the national number 0300 123 4999 where they can organisee trained personnel who can investigate.

Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/69

• Most BOP should have fledged by now - It may be food begging and parents being tough. If you are in an area with Buzzards you may see the family group up in the air and the youngsters will be crying and calling while learning flying skills. BOP youngsters also tend to only call for food when they see the parent bird approach with food - it's not safe to yell if there isn't an adult about

• What makes you sure it is a bird of prey youngster that is calling? As Germain says most young birds of prey are fledged and away from from their nest by now,the ones we watch regularly certainly are. If it is a youngster calling for food the parents may ignore the call to encourage the youngster to move out. It is not what  you  call reportable but it is certainly  of interest  to thos3 of us with an interest  in B o P