Sparrowhawks

Sparrowhawks nest every year in the tree opposite my home. However up until this year, I had never seen the chicks. They left the nest about three weeks ago and I see two, possibly three every day. 

They spend a lot of time chasing each other. Actually I'm not sure if they are chasing each other or if it is a parent chasing them. They are so fast it is hard to tell! 

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of this is? Is it play or are they practising their flying skills. 

Many thanks

• It's not play - it will be either honing flying skills (circuits and bumps) which is critical to their hunting or potentially the adults trying to push them away from their territory - the first year for all BOP is fraught with danger and they have to learn very quickly how to hunt and feed themselves. There will be a certain amount of parental teaching in the early weeks after fledging but by Autumn I would expect the youngsters to be full independent and, unless your garden is very well supplied with birds, your youngsters will have moved off
    Enjoy the free airshow
  • I think Germain sums it up very well. Probably a combination of honing the hunting and survival skills of the youngsters and also a bit of a nudge to find their own patch. A case of this garden ain't big enough for all of us.
  • Thanks for the responses. This was just what I thought. The sparrowhawks have nested across the street from me for years. This is the first time I have seen this behaviour. Which makes me think that they have been unsuccessful at raising chicks in previous years. I would have noticed these ariel displays before now. They are frequent and very vocal!