Are hornet nests really that bad?

We have bats (serotine) in the loft, and while I was out at dusk watching for them to appear from the eaves, I noticed a few hornets buzzing around up there. Same again tonight, so I’m wondering if there’s a nest. Google just comes up with pest control companies telling me to kill anything that moves, but I’m generally okay with sharing my space! I find hornets quite fascinating and I spotted one buzzing around the pond yesterday. Just wondering if they might be causing any kind of damage to either the loft or the bats?

• Not an expert on bats or hornets but from what I have read hornets will only attack (sting) if they feel under threat or nesting area is disturbed; as for bats, I would have thought the hornet was on their menu list ! As you say they are fascinating insects and it is not always necessary to bring in pest control for hornets/wasps if you are happy to give them their own space and are at safe distance from their nests. Wouldn't like to be stung by a hornet as they are pretty painful so I am told. Must be interesting to have bats around and they'll keep the insect numbers down. It's good to hear from people who's first reaction isn't to call pest control !
  • How lucky you are to have Serotine roosting. They hunt over my garden and roost in the close by church. European hornet are quite 'docile' if left alone but it's worth getting a proper id on them just to make sure- I'm assuming you are in Southern England. Any attempt at removal could affect the bats and as they are Red Listed that could lead to all sorts of issues
  • We sre lucky enough to have bats in the roof space and enjoy watching them, I'm not sure how Chris would react to a Hornets nest up there as it is pretty close to our bedroom and their nests can be quite noisy
  • We sre lucky enough to have bats in the roof space and enjoy watching them, I'm not sure how Chris would react to a Hornets nest up there as it is pretty close to our bedroom and their nests can be quite noisy