Juvenile robins in our hedge.

• In reply to Robbo:

Robbo said:
    I will guess at dunnocks

With my comparatively very limited experience, I was thinking along the same lines.

I think it's often easy to forget that people make lots of assumptions about what they see.

A good friend told his wife earlier this year that eagles they'd spotted from the autostrada were Bonelli's. He's not even an amateur birder and that was extremely unlikely, although we did see dark morph Booted Eagles in the same area, which is probably what he saw.

Explanation? He'd probably read a snatch of something on Bonelli's Eagles breeding in northern Tuscany, but not really taken on board how very rare they are.

Personally, I'm fond of Dunnocks. Always nice to see one (better, two).

Dave 

• I love Dunnocks and think they are very beautiful.  Once when on holiday, I wandered down to the far end of the garden of the house we had rented over one Christmas and there at the end, amongst the overgrown shed and what looked like a brick barbecue structure next to the shed, a small bird hopped on the top of the barbecue only about four feet away and just below eye-level--the closest view of a Dunnock I have ever seen.  Took awhile to decide it was a Dunnock simply because its feathers were unbelievably gorgeous, something I'd never noticed before.  Then just yesterday we watched a Zoom talk about birds in Bhutan.  The speaker said he especially loved Redstarts and Accentors and Bhutan has many fabulous species of Redstarts and several Accentor species.  Having not paid much attention to the scientific names of birds, I was interested to learn that Dunnocks are Accentors and that apparently the Dunnock is now being called a Hedge Accentor.  Am I the last person to learn this?!  (I did know that although Dunnocks are also called Hedge Sparrows, they are not really Sparrows!)

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

Gardenbirder said:
    Am I the last person to learn this?!

Ann, nope. I'm the last person to learn this.

First saw a Dunnock in a garden (like your encounter, overgrown) in the North West of England.

First heard one singing in the beer garden of the Black Boy in Caernarfon. A great little song.

Thanks for sharing your love of Dunnocks.

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Nope, Ann and Dave, to date, I'm the last person, but I'm sure there will be others to follow us.

Dave, I know there's a pub called the Black Boy in Caernarfon, but never realised it was also a song!

OK, I'll grab my coat and leave before I get my backside kicked......

Seriously, that is a nice pub, my wife and I had a nice meal there, sitting outside on a nice sunny spring day, with a nice view up to the castle.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Michael B said:
    Dave, I know there's a pub called the Black Boy in Caernarfon, but never realised it was also a song!

Boom-boom!  :-)

Michael B said:
    Seriously, that is a nice pub

It was well run when I was last there, a few years back. Not a million good places to drink there, but the Black Boy Inn is one of them.

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:

Michael B said:

Boom-boom!  :-)

Basil Brush no less....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtxbM7-jAD0

Sorry, I'll grab my coat and leave, quietly....

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Basil, Mike, never did anything quietly...