Found very large dead bird in my garden on Regatta Reach last Saturday.Have taken photos but we can't identify it. Looked like a bird of prey except a long pointed beak. Each wing about 2'6" or so long. Two of my photos below.

• How sad. It looks like a young gull but I don't know what species.

"Birds are, quite simply, little miracles - and as such they require care and consideration."

Magnus Ullman

My Flickr account is here

• Yes very sad, and  my first thoughts were juvenile gull.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• I'll punt at 1st winter herring gull (but I could be wrong)
  • my guess would be a juvenile Black-backed but not sure if it's a Greater or Lesser

Cin J

• Given that H5N1 is in the country again...

www.gov.uk/.../avian-influenza-bird-flu

In Great Britain, if you find dead wild waterfowl (swans, geese or ducks) or other dead wild birds, such as gulls or birds of prey, you should report them to the Defra helpline (03459 33 55 77).
  • Rationale behind my observation.

Photo 1 does not show yellow on the leg. Which excludes lesser black-backed.

Overall paleness of juvenile plumage strongly suggests irt isn;t a greater black-backed,

Plumage strongly matches first-winter herring gull.
  • In reply to tuwit:

tuwit said:
    Rationale behind my observation.

Photo 1 does not show yellow on the leg. Which excludes lesser black-backed.

No. Leg colour of juvenile gulls/immature gulls can be disregarded.

The bill isn't large enough for GBBG. Young LBBG and herring can look extremely similar so would need an expert in Juv gulls to say with any confidence which this individual is. However, I reckon it was a herring gull. 

Re reporting it, definitely. Hopefully the poster has......

• Thank you for all your replies following my report of a large dead bird. Also for the information about reporting the find to Defra - which I have just done. I have more photos but don't know whether they will provide any additional information and whether it is possible to add them to this . I will try but many thanks for your interest.

Well, I can't see how to attach the photos as I can't find any wording as I did at the beginning of my reported find.

Pat
  • In reply to Pat Sly:

Pat Sly said:
    Well, I can't see how to attach the photos as I can't find any wording as I did at the beginning of my reported find.

No, it's not obvious is it. Click on any appropriate reply box and then on "Use rich formatting" below and the full editor will open up.

As a matter of interest, where is Regatta Reach? Is it on the Thames at Henley or somewhere else? 

Juvenile gulls are notiously difficult to identify even when they are alive.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to Robbo:

"Leg colour of juvenile gulls/immature gulls can be disregarded."
    Ha! Every day is a school day. I thought by explaining how I reached my punt would possibly have someone finding a gap in my knowledge :)