Greenfinch: disease or stain?

This greenfinch came to the garden this morning with a couple of others. I haven't seen the red mark on their beak before. It wasn't in any obvious distress. Is this a disease (like avian pox) or an injury or simply a stain from something?

If it is a disease, should I take down all bird feeders in the garden? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edit: It used only one feeder and I have taken it down as a precaution.

• I'm wondering if this Greenfinch may have suffered more like trauma to the beak from another feeder (not yours) as injury can happen with some wire mesh feeders which maybe have sharp or worn wire areas. Doesn't look like Avian Pox examples I have seen previously although I hasten to add I'm not an expert and only giving a personal opinion.. Other reasons could be genetic although it looks a bit raw hence I was thinking more of trauma to the base of the upper bill.

• I've no real idea, but as you state, there's definitely some sort of a growth on the beak.

Trichomoniasis is a know infection of finches, but searching photos on the web hasn't shown what you have observed. It may be the growth is quite new and fresh, and the features will change as it becomes more established.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will share their knowledge with you and help to control whatever has happened.

Though you've only observed it use one feeder, and have taken that away as a precaution, you can't be sure it, or others, haven't used the other feeders and carried any infection there.

• Thank you Hazel and Mike.

There are a lot of sparrows and tits in the garden at the moment and I'd hate for any infection to spread so I'd better take feeders away until I know for sure.

I do hope it's an injury that will heal.
  • DB_Fife said:
    Thank you Hazel and Mike.

There are a lot of sparrows and tits in the garden at the moment and I'd hate for any infection to spread so I'd better take feeders away until I know for sure.

I do hope it's an injury that will heal.

You're welcome.

I think Hazel may be nearer the scenario, as I'd looked at avian pox and a few others. Being red, suggests it may be newish, but only a  wild and uneducated guess.

Best advice I can give is keep monitoring things.