Starling comeback?

Are starlings making a comeback? I live in a small oasis surrounded by modern development in Blackfriars, Central London. The last time we had more than six starlings at a time on our grassed area was 2008/9. The numbers decreased over the next few years until starlings haven’t been spotted for at least five years. Now, suddenly, in 2021 they have reappeared and we have our own mini murmuration of 50 or 60 birds. Is this an encouraging sign that they are starting to restore their numbers. Or is it a murmuration aberration? 

• At this time of year Starlings tend to gather in post breeding flocks so your sighting may have been this. This does not explain your birds that have missing for some time.
  • Locally I've seen more starlings the last couple of years in the urban environment.

But, and there is always a but, I've only been paying a lot of attention over the last couple of years, because 2020 was lockdown year and this year I've taken early retirement. However, even whilst in full time employment, I did take a very active interest in our garden birds, mainly through nature cams, and they also confirm my increased sightings.

So it could be coincidental, it could also be local, especially as a lot of local woodland has been disturbed or destroyed for HS2, so there could also be a need to migrate away from where they would have been.

I'm sorry I can't offer a more definite answer, only probabilities which could just be more coincidental and/or immediate environment issues.

• You’re probably right Seaman. All the birds I’m seeing at our place are juveniles. I understand many of our garden birds have come in from the continent for the summer. Lets hope this generation likes it here and they tell they're friends. It would nice to hear that familiar old chatter and squark regularly again.
  • It's nice to hear you are seeing an increase in numbers too Mike. There are so many stories of population crashes over the last few decades it would be nice to know that nature is fighting back. Bring on the sparrows next!
  • We could do with a few more Starlings before the murmuration season arrives, Over the last couple of years we have had murmurations of many thousands of birds
  • Unknown said:
    It's nice to hear you are seeing an increase in numbers too Mike. There are so many stories of population crashes over the last few decades it would be nice to know that nature is fighting back. Bring on the sparrows next!

Likewise the house sparrows have been doing well here.

With the ongoing inclement weather keeping me indoors, having all the young and associated activities has been brilliant to observe, and where possible photograph. it's also been a good learning curve.

But as I've said, how much is down to ongoing destruction of the surrounding countryside plus construction (and I've just heard another 340 acres is to become a solar farm, but details are sketchy at the moment), particularly HS2 and housing estates forcing many birds from their original habitats I don't know.